Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Who likes to raise this turn?

MP3 is an amazing donk. Just iso 3-bet him in EP with KTs and went to showdown with K high (and won against his 64o or something), and I've seen other over-aggressive donkish behavior.

Button is new, maybe an orbit, appears TAGish/TAPish perhaps.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero...

Anyone like a raise here?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Who likes to raise this turn?

I like a fold. If you REALLY think you can get him off JJ-KK, and THEN you think you're good over a T or A, then maybe.

That pot's going to be really expensive against two donks, and 'd expect a competent button to cap a lot of hands against that, and a ton with an A.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:37 AM

It would be nice to drive out Button's KK/QQ/JJ, if that's what he has, but I think I prefer a fold. I don't think AA and AKs (or maybe AKo) are all that unlikely for Button.

I've made this kind of postflop isolation raise against maniacs before, but I prefer to do it when no one has shown as much strength as Button has. (Also, if MP3 just caught a ten, well, that sucks.)

Plus, if Button was paying attention to the pot you took with king-high, he might get stubborn even if he doesn't have an ace.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:41 AM

Yeah, I suppose the combination of 1) button not folding his JJ-KK (or having AK/AQ), 2) MP having a T/A, 3) MP catching something on the river, and 4) having just shown a willingness to play back against the table maniac should make this a fold. Which is what I did.

Button called, called the river and won with JJ, against MP's Rules of Stud Poker and How to Order Replacement Cards. Or something like that.

I just wondered if this would work often enough given the pot size (which is ample) to be profitable. Maybe with a better read on the button?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I suppose the combination of 1) button not folding his JJ-KK (or having AK/AQ), 2) MP having a T/A, 3) MP catching something on the river, and 4) having just shown a willingness to play back against the table maniac should make this a fold. Which is what I did.

Button called, called the river and won with JJ, against MP's Rules of Stud Poker and How to Order Replacement Cards. Or something like that.

I just wondered if this would work often enough given the pot size (which is ample) to be profitable. Maybe with a better read on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough question. I think I'd want to know that Button wouldn't cap preflop with AKo (or at least might not) and that there was a good chance he'd fold KK/QQ/JJ.

Actually, I think that ordinarily there is a good chance he'll fold those hands. But he might be less inclined to than usual, under the circumstances. And also, he might be more inclined to cap light preflop (with AQo, for instance), if he's been watching what's been going on.

Just how random the maniac's hand is likely to be is also a consideration.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just wondered if this would work often enough given the pot size (which is ample) to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is what poker is about, isn't it? This would be an expert play, straight from my favorite poker article ever. However, in this situation, against an unknown and out of position, I don't think it's worth trying.

Bob
Old 05-21-2005, 02:56 PM

I probably wouldn't think of it at the time, but yeah - I can see a raise here. If anything, when you get to showdown your table image will be changed dramatically [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-SmileyEH
Old 05-21-2005, 03:01 PM

What about:

Lead the flop.... see how button reacts.

If he calls or raises, it probably wouldn't be wise to put any more bets into this pot.

(Actually, if it's raised anywhere you should fold.)

If Button folds, great, now you can go to work on the donk.

Adam
Old 05-21-2005, 03:12 PM

I don't like a raise here at all. The button cold-capped and he is TAG preflop. On top of that, you are viewed as an LAG type of player because of your call down with K high.

You are beat by basically every hand that a TAG would cap with in this situation (AA-TT, AK, AQ) and he isn't laying his hand down to a turn raise in this big of a pot (unless he is donkier than MP3).

Haupt_234