Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 04:39 AM

Default My PFR system (full ring)

Hey guys,

I have a weird system for making my PF raises. It may not be optimal, but I figured I'd air it out in public, since I occassionally get some flak for it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All figures are in exact amounts (including my pf call), and all hands that I choose to raise are raised the same. I play full ring NLHE $25 on Party right now.

---

My standard and minimum raise is 4xbb. If I have 3 limpers or less, I make my standard raise. If I have 4 limpers or more, I raise to 6xbb.

---

Please comment on this. Also, if someone could explain why it's important to raise exactly the pot size preflop, please do so! I realize that this is seen as the ideal, but I have no idea why it is.

--Dave.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Re: My PFR system (full ring)

I like the standard raise idea, it's great for hiding strength. Particularly if you raise a variety of hands (say 5%+). Good for multi tabling too, no thought required.

I do hope you vary it sometimes though. In some situations a limp raise is good, e.g. if you've got a maniac behind, or if you want to hide your strength against overly aggressive flop players. In other situations a larger raise is essential (e.g. very loose passive table). I think you're missing some optimal plays with this strategy.

I like to fluctuate between 3, 4 and 5BB randomly. People tend to put you on a hand by the strength of your raise, so you're leaving them plenty of room for mistakes.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 AM

I tend to raise 4 but vary according to the table/number of callers as I think the im is to get one caller exactly.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My standard and minimum raise is 4xbb. If I have 3 limpers or less, I make my standard raise. If I have 4 limpers or more, I raise to 6xbb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's "standard" to raise (4 + n)(BB), where n is the number of limpers. This is because the more limpers there are, the more you need to raise to keep their odds to call the same.

With your strategy, for example, you would raise 4xBB with 3 limpers in front. Let's assume a $(.5/1 ) table. So 3 limpers, you raise to $4. Now there is $8.50 in the pot with $3 more to call for them. They are getting better odds than if there were no limpers and therefore only $5.50 in the pot.

So if you are raising with premium hands you are giving them odds that are better to call you, and they can easily play pocket pairs and suited connectors because they have better pot odds and better implied odds.

If you raise more than (4+n)(BB) then you are losing to teh concept of "turning your hand into 7-2". Because the more you raise the better the hands that will call you (on average). So you will not get the action that you want from the worse hands and will only get called by hands that tend to beat you.

Naturally if you are raising with a small pair or suited connector yourself you might NOT want to raise as much as with the premium hands, but then if you raised less with those hands your play would be far too transparent.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM

I do roughtly (4 + limpers) x BB, but I only raise to round dollar amounts, so at 25NL (which is all I play), it's gonna be $1, $2 or $3. If I'm reraising I usually go to 4 times the original raise or so.

I've been thinking about raising more in earlier position, because I hate playing bigger pairs OOP. But I'm also afraid that this may just bloat the pot early, which I don't want. What do you think?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:24 AM

Your system sounds like a good plan of attack. It's important to have a standard-sized raise, to keep your opponents unsure of your holding. Also, keep in mind that some of the hands you raise on the button should be limped in EP.

It's not "standard" to raise the pot unless you play pot-limit, which used to be very popular, which is why old-timey writers talk about it a lot.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:10 PM

When I'm playing NL, I vary my raise size by position and the number of limpers. UTG I occasionally get into the habit of raising more (6xBB) then when I am opening from MP (4xBB) or opening from CO/button (3xBB).
Old 05-20-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm playing NL, I vary my raise size by position and the number of limpers. UTG I occasionally get into the habit of raising more (6xBB) then when I am opening from MP (4xBB) or opening from CO/button (3xBB).

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems backward.

Why do you want to get more money in when out of position?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems backward.

Why do you want to get more money in when out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? I'm raising with better hands and I want less callers.