Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Help get my pre-flop raises called.

I'm just starting out playing the Party NL$25 and I'm having trouble getting my pre-flop raises called.

My standard pfr is $2 with Monster hands and I drop it down to $1 with all other raising hands (is this an over simplification in raising)?

Anyways my problem is that I'm constantly scooping the blinds with my big hands and can't generate action. My PT stats tell me I'm a SLAP (I don't think thats a good thing) so I don't think my table image is that of being too tight.

Please let me know if I'm raising too much and how to induce better action.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Help get my pre-flop raises called.

[ QUOTE ]
My standard pfr is $2 with Monster hands and I drop it down to $1 with all other raising hands (is this an over simplification in raising)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your standard pre-flop raise should be your standard pre-flop raise. It shouldn't matter what you're holding. The standard rule for pre-flop raises is 3X the big blind + 1 bb for each limper. So if there are two limpers to you, you should raise to $1.50 whether you have AQ or AA.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Us sLAP's need to stick together. Maybe alternate your raises. It looks like your opponents caught on to your predictable raises. They know that everytime you raise $2 you have a "monster" hand. How about anytime you raise, just raise $1 to keep your opponents from putting you on a hand. I had this same problem.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:01 PM

adding more open raising in LP with junky hands like 75s also helps your EP raises get called (even if you never open EP without a premium hand).
Old 05-20-2005, 01:09 PM

It probably doesn't matter much at the PP $25, but you shouldn't vary your preflop raises based on what you have, it makes you very easy to read. I do that too though, especially with hands like QQ-TT, where I'm scared of getting too many callers.

What do you mean when you say monsters? If I pick up the blinds with AKo, I'm satisfied. And sometimes the blinds are all you get when you hold AA. Nothing much you can do about that.

I assume you play full ring, but still, one thing you can do is start raising some suited connectors (and basically all the hands you are going to play) in LP when there are only one or two limpers to you.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Default agree

[ QUOTE ]
Your standard pre-flop raise should be your standard pre-flop raise. It shouldn't matter what you're holding. The standard rule for pre-flop raises is 3X the big blind + 1 bb for each limper. So if there are two limpers to you, you should raise to $1.50 whether you have AQ or AA

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth.

Don't start raising more hands, as suggested by other posters. If you raise on [roughly]: AA-TT/AK-AJ/KQs and any playable hand when first one in CO/Button you'll be raising enough to get called. Preflop is not where you lose/make your money anyway. Raising more hands just gets you into huge pots with weak holdings. That's not everyone's cup of tea. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fistdantilus
Old 05-20-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: agree

Monsters: QQ, AA, KK and AKs.

I'm going to go with the new 3x + 1bb per limper and see how that works for me.

Yeah, I get gunshy with middle pp' (7's-10's) and hands like AQ-A10s.

Can anybody recommend a good range of hands to play for the average $25 pp game?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: agree

[ QUOTE ]
Can anybody recommend a good range of hands to play for the average $25 pp game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great thread for starting hands here