Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this the cutest polar bear ever?
Yes, but it's close. 13 39.39%
Yes, definitely. 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Waiting for Big Blind

When playing four .50 $1 tables, do you wait for the big blind in the beginning?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Waiting for Big Blind

Depends on where the button is.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Why would you post in the middle somewhere? The only other place to post is in the CO.

Regards,

T
Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Generally, if I enter a table in late position, I may post without waiting for the big blind...I just wanted to hear some opinions.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 PM

I see. Just keep in mind that regardless of the stakes, you're putting in a small bet in an unprofitable situation. Of course, the game could be so juicy it doesn't matter and won't affect your win rate. But more often than not, it's 1SB given away. Since we like to say a great online player will make 3BB/100, you'll be waiting at least 16 hands to make that up.

I know .50 is trivial, I'm just pointing out that you're possibly making things harder for yourself.

Regards,

T
Old 05-19-2005, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the advice...The reason I asked is because I have been considering waiting for the big blind from now on. If the goal is to minimize losses, that seems like a good start.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 PM

It costs 0.75 BB/round in blinds - that 0.075/hand and you have the worst positions at the table.

Posting costs 0.5 BB and you get good relative position. Posting from late position is a good deal compared to the blinds.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:15 PM

I prefer to post in the CO if possible for the better position assuming a full 10-handed table, but it's a pretty minor preference and I am happy to come in on the BB as well. I would not post in a position earlier than the CO and instead wait for the BB online.

Brick & Morter I usually post unless the BB is only a couple of hands away for two reasons. 1) the hand rate is slower so I could be waiting 10 minutes for the BB and 2) people notice when you wait a long time to start playing and will mark you as one of "those" players. It is generally better to let them think you are there to gambool it up with them and don't care about one measly big blind.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:07 PM

I agree with Pov..unless I am one or two hands from the BB naturally, I'll usually post. At the limits I play it may even be more profitable to be in the hands than to wait 10 minutes or so for the BB to come around. Plus, if you wait instead of posting, everyone at the table marks you as a "serious" player and are less likely to give you the loose action you want.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 PM

well... i personally only play .50/1 when i've been drinking or otherwise expect to lose, so i go ahead and click auto-post whenever i sit down. I know that this is terribly -EV, buy hey, it's $.50. If the money at this level matters to you or you're trying to build a bankroll, it depends on your winrate, pending bonus, and other considerations.

say you're a 4BB/100 winner and you're clearing a 10x raked bonus at a party skin...

if you don't post in late position, say, 8th, then you've saved $.50, right? nope. you've lost 6 hands, during which your ev from your winnings would be $.24 and your ev from bonus (say 5/6 hands get raked) would be $.50... do you've effectivly lost $.24 by not posting! (and that doesn't even consider the % of times that you'll win the hand- throw that in and i'd think not posting costs an avarage of about $.30)

other than that situation, i can't see why one would post out of the blinds (if you care about $.50). In NL play, i post as soon as i sit down, no matter what my position is.