Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Your screen name makes a big difference?

I have different screen names at different sites, and it seems to me and some friends of mine that a screen name that implies that you do not bluff tends be the most +EV. This is surprising since you'd presume inducing others to be looser would be more +EV. Maybe it has to do more with my style of play. Anyone else with similar observations?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Your screen name makes a big difference?

[ QUOTE ]
I have different screen names at different sites, and it seems to me and some friends of mine that a screen name that implies that you do not bluff tends be the most +EV. This is surprising since you'd presume inducing others to be looser would be more +EV. Maybe it has to do more with my style of play. Anyone else with similar observations?

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit holdem, unless the game is very loose, stealing pots is much more profitable than getting occasional extra bets in the rare cases that you have a strong hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit holdem, unless the game is very loose, stealing pots is much more profitable than getting occasional extra bets in the rare cases that you have a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion. At least in low limit games, the majority of your profit will come from loose players who always call your value bets.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion. At least in low limit games, the majority of your profit will come from loose players who always call your value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iceman is right. You're talking about the one exception he already mentioned.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely +EV to have a tight image. I don't think however that your screen name is helpful in that regard. You shouldn't need help taking money off of people who use your screen name to decide your style of play.

When I first sit down at a table I will play tightly if possible for two reasons. The first is to assess my opponents and the second is to develop a tight image. When I have accomplished these goals I will selectively loosen up and take advantage of my tight image against the opponents that are not relentlessly loose-passive. It is important to look for and note opponents who adjust quickly to your style changes. This is in my experience a highly reliable indicator of overall skill.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Iceman is right. You're talking about the one exception he already mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless we're talking about high stakes, the games are almost always loose. It's stupid to emphasize what's important in tight games when the games are almost always loose. It would be better to say "Except in very tight games where stealing is more important, getting your opponents to call your value bets is more profitable." But the OP didn't mention what stakes he was talking about so it depends.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely +EV to have a tight image. I don't think however that your screen name is helpful in that regard. You shouldn't need help taking money off of people who use your screen name to decide your style of play.

When I first sit down at a table I will play tightly if possible for two reasons. The first is to assess my opponents and the second is to develop a tight image. When I have accomplished these goals I will selectively loosen up and take advantage of my tight image against the opponents that are not relentlessly loose-passive. It is important to look for and note opponents who adjust quickly to your style changes. This is in my experience a highly reliable indicator of overall skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is it +EV to have a tight image? You want people to think you're a good player? You don't want people calling you when you have a good hand? Ok, lets say you do have a tight image. How are you going to exploit this so-called advantage? Steal more? But if you steal too often, you'll ruin your tight image. So you can't really steal that much. People won't call your bets when you have a good hand.

I think it's much better to have a loose, wild, unpredictable image. Key word is unpredictable. You won't be able to steal, but that's ok, they'll call you when you have a monster. When you win pots, they'll think you just got lucky. You want to convince people that you are not a skilled poker player. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 AM

I've found the best table image to be that of a gambooler - most of my screen names are fairly non descript. The kind of thing a guy who just plays poker for a bit of fun might have.

On really marginal decisions, I do the opposite of what the screen name suggests I should do.

"Ineverbluff" - I'm more likely to make a crying call, or even to play back at the guy.

"bluffdaddy" - I'm more likely to respect this guy's bets.

But like I said, I'm a decent player, and the effect is very marginal and only in the absence of other information.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 AM

i dont bluff in the 5/10 6max game
Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is it +EV to have a tight image? You want people to think you're a good player? You don't want people calling you when you have a good hand? Ok, lets say you do have a tight image. How are you going to exploit this so-called advantage? Steal more? But if you steal too often, you'll ruin your tight image. So you can't really steal that much. People won't call your bets when you have a good hand.

I think it's much better to have a loose, wild, unpredictable image. Key word is unpredictable. You won't be able to steal, but that's ok, they'll call you when you have a monster. When you win pots, they'll think you just got lucky. You want to convince people that you are not a skilled poker player. Just my thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong. It is more profitable to develop a tight image and steal the occassional pot. For one thing tight is the correct strategy anyway. You will waste a lot of chips developing your loose image and then you have to make all those wasted bets up before you can even begin to profit on your loose image.

You are right that you can't do it too much. You don't need to do it too much. Just a little will bring you much EV. And if you get caught a couple of times you tighten back up and cash in on the extra action you will get with value bets. And when (if) your opponents adjust then you can steal a few more pots. It is all about keeping your opponents off balance. And in my experience most opponents are slow to adjust to your play if they even adjust at all.