Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Internship has me thinking....

....that i want to do something in advertising (as in creating ads, not selling airtime or something). As a few may know, I am attending Loyola Marymount next year. There are many opportunities out there in the entertainment/t.v. industries. I was planning on majoring in accounting or finance or something like that, however, the general manager of the t.v. station i am interning at said he majored in radio/t.v. and uses that as well as a business admin. minor in his job.

Is anyone in this forum involved in advertising? Like most shmucks, I think my ideas for ads are fukcing awesome, but I'm positive there is more to them than having cool ideas. What should I major in? Im also planning on taking classes at their school of film and television. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Internship has me thinking....

[ QUOTE ]
What should I major in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing seems like the obviious major.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 PM

yea thats what i thought, but it didn't sound like anyone there majored in marketing. thats what got me wondering if there was something different I should do.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:34 PM

Communications is something you could look into.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM

It's called Strategic Communications at the University of Wisconsin, where I'm at. It's in the journalism school, because they say that good writers equal good advertisers.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:00 AM

Having a degree in Communications, I have to respectfully disagree. I minored in Marketing and that will be much more suitable to the OP's needs.

To the OP...

I'm not clear on what you specifically want to do so I'll just throw out a few thoughts. I sell advertising BTW. On the creative end, you don't really get a job as being the guy who just comes up with "cool ideas." Creatives tend to stick to specific mediums. (Take that with a grain of salt because my experience there is very limited) I'm also not aware of undergrad programs for doing the creative stuff. Your best bet would be to decide which medium you want to work in and major in that. I.E. You want to do print ads, major in graphic design. You want to do TV ads, major in Communication I guess...although I still think it's a pretty useless degree. I still think Marketing is your best bet. There are good schools that aren't exactly grad schools, but are highly respected in the industry that you could attend after college, like The Circus in Atlanta. Just a few ideas.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 AM

Nobody respects a communications major.

The next time you are watching a big time college football game notice how many players are communications majors...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 AM

Respect wasn't exactly my goal. Getting ANY college degree with the minimal amount of effort was. Having 2+ years experience in radio before declaring a major, it was the obvious choice.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Respect wasn't exactly my goal. Getting ANY college degree with the minimal amount of effort was. Having 2+ years experience in radio before declaring a major, it was the obvious choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean that as a knock on you. I just wanted to make the OP aware of the stigma that goes with being a comm major. That said, most communications classes are easy As...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 AM

i dont know too much about the whole college thing, but i dont think a communications/marketing major is the way to go. those arent held in very high accord.