Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 09:13 AM

Default TT with no overcards on flop

Villians stats are 66%/0/3.33 Quite an interesting combination. Apart from that I haven't noticed anything in particular - no crazy bluffs etc.
Is this just standard?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
Old 05-18-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: TT with no overcards on flop

[ QUOTE ]
Villians stats are 66%/0/3.33

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Ugh, I really hate just using stats in situations like this, they don't tell me what I really want to know about Villain. That 66% preflop, is that coldcalling raises or does he just limp a whole lot? Does he coldcall with big pairs instead of reraising? Also, "no crazy bluffs" and 3.33 postflop agression seems somewhat counterintuitive to me.

On the turn you're ahead of an overplayed 4 or 5 (Does he coldcall with hands with a 4 or 5 in them?), 66, 77, 88, and maybe a turned flushdraw that he's aggressive with (another thing I'd like to know that his stats won't tell me, does he like to bet his flushdraws?) And overcards. You're behind big pairs and nines. So, I think calling his raise is probably fine without a more specific read. On the river you're no longer beating 77, but I think the check/call is also a fine way to handle it.

Anyway, this was mostly a post about why stats aren't as useful as a real read. You played this fine.

-Tim
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 AM

That's how I'd play it. I still can't figure out the stop n go. This is kind of like a reverse stop n go isn't it?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 AM

When button raises the flop, I put him on at least a set of 9s. There are no flush or straight draws available, and I doubt that he would raise with a small pocket pair or overcards.

That means that you are most likely behind and drawing to only 2 outs. Therefore I would call the flop raise, and check and fold to a turn bet, assuming another T didnt fall.

I wouldnt have called this hand to the river.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:51 AM

I agree with fantam.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When button raises the flop, I put him on at least a set of 9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.....there is no reason at _all_ to assume this.

This is a paired board. A preflop raiser more often than not has 2 big non-paired cards. Any pocket pair, any 4, and any aggressive player will often raise here with _far_ less than trip 9's. If you just call the raise, they will put you on something like Ax. 3-betting usually will make them think you have a pair.

When he raises the turn you can start to be scared of the trips, but against an unknown it still makes sense to call down as you're probably only behind to trip 9's.

If you throw this away on the flop without a very good read, you have a huge leak imho.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:18 AM

I think a fold on the river is the best play, but I am not good enough to make it yet.

I like the flop 3 bet, but when he doesn't slow down on the turn, I think he has the 9.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 AM

I play it the same as OP.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 AM

I can go back into my PT database and show you like a gazillion hands where somebody like Button has played a 4 this way. Even after the turn raise, I am going to be somewhat surprised if I go on to lose this hand.

Folding the river would be awful.