Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Notes

Hi,
I have decided to move up from multitabling 1/2 to 2/4. At 1/2 and lower I was not motivated on taking notes as I knew I would win decent without it and would soon move up and thus don't meet the other players.

However, towards the end of my 1/2 I played a lot at Absolute with some regulars who started to put counter-measures towards my standard moves. Since I probably will be stuck at 2/4 for a while I should start taking notes.

Is there any good thread on this or any good advice? (I tried to search [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 05-18-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Notes

If you can use poker tracker, and the inport/export notes that is one good place to start.

On sites, that PT doesn't support, I make shorthand notes about plays that my opponents make, that I think might be exploitable.

It depends on what you kinds of plays you think you can exploit, and what weaknesses you can recognize in your opponents.

However, towards the end of my 1/2 I played a lot at Absolute with some regulars who started to put counter-measures towards my standard moves.

Well, think about this for 10 seconds, and how do you combat it.

OK, here is a hint. Whenever you get involved in a hand, try and remember back to the previous hand with this opponent. What did you do? What was the result? What did each of you showdown if there was a showdown?

How did that betting pattern relate to the current one? What do you think he has, and what do you think, he thinks you have? Based on what has gone on before, and what you have, how do you think you can draw him into the largest mistake?

So, second hand at the table, I have KTs in the SB, and my notes on the button say that he is very aggressive, and that he overplays made hands. He openraises, I call, and the flop is king high. I check/call, check/call, check/raise, and he folds.

One lap later he openraises again on the button, I have AKs this time, and I smooth call again. This time the flop is Ace high, and I check/call the flop. On the turn, I check/raise, because last time I checkraised the river, and if I try that again, he might check the river through. He calls the turn, and again on the river.

A couple laps later, he openraises in the C0, and I have AA. I smoothcall, the BB also calls. The flop is king high, two tone. He bets, I raise on the flop and the BB folds. He threebets, and I call. Turn is some middle card, He bets, I raise again, and he calls. He checks and calls on the river.

So three times, I had top pair against an aggressive player, and once I raised him on the river, the next time, I raised him on the turn. And finally, I raised him on the flop.

I did a lot of calling early in hands against this player, but because he was very aggressive postflop, I thought that those calls might get paid back later in the hand. I also tried to give him a different look each time I made a hand against him, so that he would have a hard time reading what my hand was based just on my play. I think on the AA hand, I probably got more out of him, because he was suspicious that I raised the flop instead of a later street, so he threebet the flop, and then I got a raise in on a big bet street also.

Anyway, there are a lot of ways that you can play a hand, and if you find your opponents making counterplays, you need to find some new ways to play those same hands.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Notes

search for bisonbison's "Notes on notes"