Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 05:12 AM

Default AA second hand

On sunday I came 6th in the PP Sunday Quarter Million Guarenteed. Tried to follow it up with the super monday...

Second hand of the tourney, so obviously no reads.
Blinds are 10/15. I have red aces from MP.

UTG limps, folded to me, I raise to 60 to go, button smooth calls, utg calls.
FLOP: k[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot is at 205. UTG checks, I bet 175, button makes it 350. UTG folds. My action...?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: AA second hand

A raise to 100 might be better pre-flop.

The re-pop here looks like a draw or an AK. I'm pushing. Of course I do sometimes overplay aces early [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If he has two pair you just got unlucky.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: AA second hand--WPT Player of the Year bid

Here's my question: how do you not go broke here? This solution is my bid for the WPT Player of the Year award, (that's Weak Passive Tight, incidentally). Like so,:I call and lead 400 at the next card. If it's a flush card, I'll call the push if it comes. If it's not, I'll fold to a push. If he calls, check/fold the river push, unless I help. Basically, I'm folding to a push without a draw to the nut flush.

I guess there are a few more scenarios where the turn gives me another 4 outs or something, but that's it. I am playing this hand to get worked. However, if I push on the flop what's he going to call with that I can beat other than AK. T9s? What is she gonna fold that I can't beat--I don't think she lays down any set. And if she's going to fold two pair, she'll fold for 400 more. Oh, and if the board pairs K's or J's I can get away for cheap.

I can't believe I'm about to post this. Clearly, I need help. Flame on, in the name of freedom.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: AA second hand--WPT Player of the Year bid

[ QUOTE ]
I call and lead 400 at the next card. If it's a flush card, I'll call the push if it comes. If it's not, I'll fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thereby leaving yourself with 190 chips? This is obviously wrong. I'm pushing on the flop here and if I go broke, I go broke. There's always tomorrow's Super tourney.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:28 PM

It would really help if this wasn't the second hand and you knew a bit more about this player - oh well. With absolutely no reads, I'm thinking that the button will show down KJ,JJ or 77 the vast majority of the time. If you have a read and the guy is very trickey then you should probably play with him and if he's an idiot you should definately push, but against a solid, skilled, or unknown player you don't necessarily have to continue. Remember, you were the pre-flop raiser and you let at the pot. The absolute minimum hand you could ever have (assuming it's not a bluff) is KQ, but AK is more likely. That's what probably would be going through my head if I didn't have any reads on you. Without any ideas regarding whether or not you would lat this down, I can't possibly make a raise like that holding a drawing hand. Fold the AA and live to play another hand even though it hurts.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I thought this was one of those "If I push he can not call with anything im beating, but can I just fold this here?" I thought maybe calling would have been a more appropriate line, especially because if I have him beat, unless he has a monster draw, I think I can let him see a cheap turn card- not to mention I sort of have a redraw, with the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] combination. Not much of a draw but it's something.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:02 PM

i push every day on the 2nd hand of a tourney... if it was a rock who raised me id maybe think about it.. if he has a straight flush draw make him pay for it... u have one of the hearts he needs anyways.. if he has king jack or a set... that ***hole
Old 05-17-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i push every day on the 2nd hand of a tourney... if it was a rock who raised me id maybe think about it.. if he has a straight flush draw make him pay for it... u have one of the hearts he needs anyways.. if he has king jack or a set... that ***hole

[/ QUOTE ]

How can he be a rock on the second hand of the tournament?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can he be a rock on the second hand of the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

well when i said that i was just talking about a general situation when i had the aces if i knew the kind of player the person who did it was... my bad.. but the other stuff i was talking about in the MTT and in general
Old 05-17-2005, 04:33 PM

I think the fact that this is a partypoker tournament makes this too hard to fold, because you dont start with very many chips, but what do you do if this was the ps 350k guarenteed, and you had 125 big blinds behind instead of 66?