Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Give me your advice. (lawyers especially)

I'm graduating law school this month. Tonight, as I'm filling out my bar application, I happen upon a distinct problem. The law school registrar has a form that they fill out in your bar application detailing the educational history they have on file for you. This includes undergrad work. I then have to sign a statement to the effect that it is my complete undergrad record. But it isn't complete.

I was accepted to a school and registered for classes, but I never went or took any of the tests. This university presumably has Fs recorded as my grades in these courses and I didn't put this school on my law school application. So, as of now, when the registrar fills out the bar application it won't be complete. If I sign it anyway and it ever comes up, this is considered perjury and I could lose my bar membership and not be able to practice as an attorney. If I don't sign it, I can't take the bar. If I try to come clean I guess I have to tell the registrar and then they may decide not to grant me a diploma. A further complication is that I was on full scholarship to this school for 3 years and they may want me to give them $150,000 in tuition now that they see that my application wasn't complete.

I don't know how rigorous the background check is on applicants, but I have heard it is intense. Nonetheless, I assume that they would have to actually inquire about my enrollment from the school itself and this seems unlikely. Barring the background check, I just can't see how it would ever come up that I attended this school, but the stakes for this gamble are really high. Any input from you guys?