Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM

Default hand example challenge

Try and fabricate a hand example (full handed game) wherein hero faces a marginal decision on every single street - i.e. the expectation is very close between folding, calling, and raising.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: hand example challenge

Hero is CO with 99. UTG limper and UTG+2 limpers are both LP, but have been known to toss a hand PF under heavy action. MP2 is w/t and raises - which he only does 6% of the time.

You chose to call.
Flop comes 4h8sJs. UTG+2 who will lead out with top pair or a draw bets, MP2 raises.

You chose to call.
Turn is Th. UTG+2 bets, MP2 calls.

You chose to call.
River is 7s. UTG+2 bets, MP2 folds.

What do you think? problem is only 2 real options on the river. Can't fold here.

CSC
Old 05-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Sure you can't fold the river. However you'll never get there as the flop and turn aren't marginal, they're easy folds. Preflop I'd like to threebet.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure you can't fold the river. However you'll never get there as the flop and turn aren't marginal, they're easy folds. Preflop I'd like to threebet.

[/ QUOTE ]

argument for the flop - UTG2 may have you beat, or may be drawing. PFR may be trying to secure his over outs/see a free turn, or he may have you beat. Indecision leads to a call. Raising here will give you a good idea of where you are in the hand.

Turn: You've just made a OE str8 draw, but there is evidence that you are both losing AND may have only 6 outs with your OEstr8. On the other hand, both players may still be drawing and will pay you off with a very small likelyhood of a reraise.

River: to value bet or not to value bet. That is the question.

CSC
Old 05-13-2005, 03:10 AM

i did WHAT on the flop
Old 05-13-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i did WHAT on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. You called. You thought, there is a damn good chance that I am ahead right now...but I'm not really sure.... so I think I'll call. LOL. This is really funny. OK, I'm gonna try to think of a better example....

CSC
Old 05-13-2005, 04:10 AM

OK, UTG raises. 2CCs to you. There are also 2 posters behind. You look down at 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP2 and think, "should I call, raise to knock out these posters, or much this marginal hand for two bets." You call, as does one of the posters, and the BB.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked all the way to MP1 who bets. You think, I have a lousy pair of sevens, I should fold. HOWEVER, there is also one of my suit, AND I have a 3card str8, maybe I should call... But if I am gonna call, why not raise? I can buy position, and possibly a free card. I can knock out a lot of hands btwn me and MP1 that can beat me. You decide to raise. EVERYONE calls.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving you your flush draw. EVERYONE checks to the poster who bets. (you decided to check because poster was itching to toss chips into the pot, and you didn't want him to raise you, thus scaring out those that would pay off your draw.) BB raises, UTG 3-bets, , UTG+1 and MP1 both CC. At this point you are wondering if your flush draw is even good. OR, it seems that the other two nines are out there, so a couple of your hearts give someone else a boat IF they don't already have it. You consider mucking. But then you think, wait, I have a flush draw with 5 others in the pot. I gotta at least call. And then you think, with five others in the pot, I should really cap to maximize implied odds. So you cap.

River is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] completing your flush. BB bets. 3 calls to you. You are thinking, that BB has GOT to have a boat, right? I should fold. But I KNOW that I have these three beat. Then there is that CO too.... Maybe just a call... But if I am gonna call.... I KNOW that these three CCers will pay me off, AND I know that I have them beat. Am I wrong about BBs holding enough to make it worth a raise?

CSC

OK this river sucks too, but this is really hard. Someone else show me an example.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM

Full handed 20-40 game.

A tight agressive opponnent open raises who can play tricky at times in the HiJack seat, 1 before the cutoff. You are in the cutoff with AJo and reraise its heads up and he calls. He has respect for your game.

The flop is A T 4r.

He leads out you raise? you call?

on the turn is a Q. He leads out... you raise, you call, you fold....

On the river is a 9. He leads out, you raise, you call, you fold??
Old 05-13-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Full handed 20-40 game.

A tight agressive opponnent open raises who can play tricky at times in the HiJack seat, 1 before the cutoff. You are in the cutoff with AJo and reraise its heads up and he calls. He has respect for your game.

The flop is A T 4r.

He leads out you raise? you call?

on the turn is a Q. He leads out... you raise, you call, you fold....

On the river is a 9. He leads out, you raise, you call, you fold??

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad, not bad. PF, it is either raise or fold. I doubt you're folding the flop, leading out here would be a strange way to play a hand that beats AJ. And I can't see an argument for raising the river (trying to fold out AK a the risk of running into a str8 or 2pair or...AK). Very nice though. I was having a little trouble coming up with a raise/call/fold PF hand. Subsequently, coming up with a raise/call/fold river.

Fun challenge, thanks.

CSC
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Here's my attempt.

Cutoff = very loose preflop, somewhat tight postflop.
small blind = very laggy postflop.
big blind = somewhat loose passive all around.

Cutoff open limps. Here is on the button with black 55.

Fold, call, or raise?

Flop is 236, two hearts. small blind bets out, big blind calls, cutoff raises.

Fold, call, or raise? (i know..dependant on the first decision. damn.)

Turn is offsuit A. Checked to the cutoff who bets.

Fold, call, or raise?

River is the 4h. Checked to the cutoff who bets.

Fold, call, or raise?