Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Slow-play 2 pair on flop, headsup?

As usual, this is my first hand at the table, no reads on anyone. Just wondering whether I should have considered checking the flop, in hopes of inducing villain to bet on turn.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 3 BB
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Slow-play 2 pair on flop, headsup?

I think I raise that preflop. After that, you played it fine.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Raise preflop, villain has shown no strength and your hand is a significant favorite over the crap these guys complete in the SB with.

On the flop betting is standard, for all the times you bet here with KT you have to also bet here when you flop 2 pair.

However, occasionally checking through is fine, especially when villain is known to bluff at weakness - then you can let him stab at the turn and river and raise him on the river, hopefully he'll have caught a piece of the board by then and call.

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think I raise that preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew. I thought I was too LAG for a minute. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 04:49 PM

You have no reads on SB. Expecting SB to bet turn requires a read that SB will bet the turn often in this situation.

SB does not have an ace. If the flop paired SB, he will probably see you to the showdown regardless, because you didn't indicate that you have an A by raising preflop. In fact, if the flop paired SB, he might check-raise you on the flop, and then it will be a fun hand.
If SB has a weak draw, like a baby straight draw, he might see your flop bet but not your turn bet. If SB has two cards better than 8, SB might see your flop bet but not your turn bet. If SB has a legitimate diamond draw, you are better off charging him on the flop anyway, and he still might check-raise you making for a fun hand.
The benefits of a flop bet far outweigh a small chance that SB will bluff the turn.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, villain has shown no strength and your hand is a significant favorite over the crap these guys complete in the SB with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Sigh. I hate it when I post asking whether I misplayed one street, and everyone says I misplayed another street.

Yes, I guess this was a pretty basic preflop raise. Something about it being my first hand made me more cautious.

As for the flop, I'm convinced it made sense to bet there also. I've just been wondering in general whether I sometimes cost myself bets by being too quick to bet on the flop. Guess not this situation, though.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh. I hate it when I post asking whether I misplayed one street, and everyone says I misplayed another street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you bro, it's definitely frustrating - but not something to be taken personally. If multiple posters comment on a different street than the one you think is interesting it would behoove you to examine that aspect of the hand.

Anyway, gris's explanation was definitely thorough, look above and you'll get all the explanation you need for why betting the flop is better.

Surf
Old 05-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Nah, I don't take it personal at all. Just don't like finding out I'm dumber than I thought. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Please everyone, criticize away freely (like they need my permission anyway).
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 PM

Haha, gotcha, I misunderstood the tenor of your post.

It definitely is frustrating though, I'm with you on that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf