Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Levels 1-3, limp/re-raising AK/JJ out of position?

I've realized I really don't like taking flops with JJ/AK when I'm out of position. When I'm in position I've got no problem making a small raise with AK and limping JJ, etc, then getting away from them if I miss the flop and playing them strongly if I hit or I sense some weakness (which isn't much, really, I prefer to just wait mostly). My standard play with AK/JJ only now is to limp UTG-MP3 and then reraise all-in if:

1) There is a moderately large raise (I'm not coming over the top to capture 30 chips or anything, it's just if someone pops it to 5+BB (L1) or 3+BB (L2).

2) The raiser has made similar raises and shown down weaker hands/not had to show any hands down. I won't make this move against someone who has raised for the first time, and will normally fold if popped a decent amount with JJ or call with AK depending on other factors.

Both conditions need to be there for me to do this. I've so far met with success, though the sample size is very small considering that the conditions for this to happen come up fairly infrequently. Against more aggressive players, I've yet to have been called by a much better hand (worst result so far was a call with 88 when I had AKo.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Levels 1-3, limp/re-raising AK/JJ out of position?

very glad you posted this, as this is something i've been experimenting lately with as well. for some reason, i find myself more inclined to do it with AK than JJ. it would be helpful to know what site you play at (as to know how many starting chips) and what level. for others that read this, i play at party in the 11s.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Levels 1-3, limp/re-raising AK/JJ out of position?

Party at the $22s! Yeah, I feel more inclined with AK as well, but sometimes against a really loose raiser I feel like JJ just gives me too good a chance to be up against Ax or Kx with x being J or lower.