Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Newt in \'08!

Newt gingrich, at a book signing in... IOWA, announced today that he is considering a run for the presidency in 2008...
linky

LMFAO- maybe if the dems send up Dean or Kerry and Newt gets the repub nod, a third party will actually have a chance! can you say 'unelectable'?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Newt in \'08!

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
News of Gingrich’s foray into the presidential battleground and the array of politically significant activities have prompted enthusiastic responses from House Republicans. All GOP lawmakers who spoke with The Hill said he would be a top-tier candidate who could seriously challenge the early front-runners, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Although McCain and Giuliani lead early national polls, some conservatives view them with deep skepticism. McCain has often sided with Senate Democrats in key legislative battles, such as last year’s over the budget, and Giuliani supports abortion rights.

Gingrich is a hero of conservatives, whose influence will be heightened in a presidential primary.

“Apart from Ronald Reagan, there has been no voice more clarion in the conservative movement than Newt Gingrich in the last 25 years,” said Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a caucus of about 100 conservatives in the House. “I know that conservatives because of their respect and affection for him are going to take a real hard look at Gingrich.”
Pence said conservatives would also consider carefully Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) should they decide to run for president, as many political observers expect.

Pence recalled his days as a House candidate, driving around the district listening to GOPAC tapes of Gingrich explaining how to communicate the tenets of conservatism.

“The man has a genuine gift for inspiring passion for conservative ideals,” Pence said. “That used to come across on tape.”

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he runs. And if he does, I will vote him and be proud of it.

-Zeno
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 AM

Newt Gingrich is very electable.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:40 AM

Didn't he shut down the government in the 90s? I don't really remember too well (I was still a kid).
Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 AM

He (Newt) was on C-SPAN's "Road to the White House '08" last December; he took questions in New Hampshire from the editors of a local newspaper (Manchester Union Leader), where he more or less said he was running.

Candidates lay the groundwork almost decades in advance. Kerry started running in '96 when he beat Bill Weld to retain his Senate seat.

This is only to say it's not a closely guarded secret that he's running.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 AM

Newt scares me a bit. He is incredibly smart and he is a very strong leader. I more or less liked his agenda. However, I think that he is a bit of a scumbag based on how he treated his wife.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Newt Gingrich is very electable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he is and I like Newt a lot.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 AM

I'll be old enough to run in '08. Maybe I should give it a shot. If I'm sandwiched in between him and one of the dorks the Dems have been running lately, I'll be a shoe-in.

Personally, I think neither party has the best intersts of the people at heart. Their donations come from the same corporations. (Men of power don't gamble, they hedge.) Unions have never been perfect, but they're all the working man had. Now, there are two centrist parties and some fruitcake Nader. I was a professional activist in my younger days, and I even worked for Nader's organization. Suffice it to say, I am not conviced of his integrity. Still, he is the only powerful friend some have. (God help them)

Can you blame anyone for being cynical?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:47 AM

If he does get elected then it is just a shame that Chris Farley isn't alive anymore because he used to do some funny SNLs playing Newtie.

On a serious note Gengrich v. Clinton. You want to talk about an entertaining debate.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he does get elected then it is just a shame that Chris Farley isn't alive anymore because he used to do some funny SNLs playing Newtie.

On a serious note Gengrich v. Clinton. You want to talk about an entertaining debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be a cage match. lol