Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Raise turn for free SD w AQ high, 10/20 6m

Opponent seems pretty TAG after playing with him for a bit. Hasn't done anything real noticeable. I always think its weak when I get led into on flops like this so I raised the turn for a free showdown, thinking AQ high maybe best and there is some chance he folds a better hand. I was pretty much raising most turn cards, I didn't think of any I wouldn't raise, and this one seemed as good as any. Then I improved so I thought I had a pretty easy value bet.

Is this a good turn strategy? Should I call down instead, or maybe fold it?

Thanks,
DeathDonkey

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 05-12-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Raise turn for free SD w AQ high, 10/20 6m

i think that raise is pretty bad. dont have much more to add, but its just bad. if he is bluffing let him bluff. he aint folding any piece here, cuz that 8 did not help you.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 AM

i take this line alot. most people realize that a flop raise is just for sparring, and a turn raise has more weight, and thus i fold better hands more often. just be sure to mix it up or it becomes predictable.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:54 AM

So your saying you would just call the whole way? What if I river a Queen, like I did here (or an ace too). Does that change the plan at all? If he is on a draw I don't think raising the turn is as bad as you say, though if he is just completely bluffing it is. I wasn't raising as a bluff I didn't think at the time.

Results below:
He had nines and I suckout good.

Thanks,
DeathDonkey
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 AM

I might call down against specific types of aggressive opponents. Against predictable passive guys I might check/fold the turn, but that 8 actually helps you. The fact of the matter it IS a very bluffable board, quite coordinated. Hence I said, let him keep betting it, cuz he aint folding that draw to your raise.

Oh what were you raising it as? The best hand?

If i river the A or Q, i raise it. You caught a 6 outer, might as well get paid properly.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 AM

Your turn raise will NEVER make him fold a better hand. If he is bluffing he will fold and that is bad for you. If he is not bluffing, the only situation in which it will be benificial is if he has a draw AND he misses his draw on the river. If he will bet any pair and any draw on this flop, he will have a pair about 2/3 of the time and a draw about 1/3 of the time. If he has a draw he will make it on the river about 1/5 of the time. Therefore your turn raise will be beneficial to you about 1/3*4/5=27% of the time. The other 73% of the time you are helping your opponent. This is a very -EV raise.

Cartman