Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Default 3/6 high, two hands...

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

i play a lot more hi-lo than straight high, and i always have a tough time deciding wether or not to double bet when i pair my door card. generally, i'll go ahead and do it, but the table was tight and i wanted some action on my set. I thought everybody would fold if i double bet; I had been playing my standard TAG game, but had only been involved in about 10% of the hands due to a crappy run of starting hands, so i assume that the table thinks i'm a rock. (if they're even paying attention)

After their calls, I assumed that the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was on a flush draw, and the 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was on a straight draw or a big pair in the hole. if they were both on draws, their draws were fairly dead, and i feel comfortable pushing hard on fifth and beyond the hand and making them pay to draw out on me (esp since i might boat anyway) and i wanted to represent two pair so they would continue with their draws (the other T out helped me with that, i think). I didn't think that EVERYONE would call, though i was not particularly concerned about the other two players in the pot.

good play/costly mistake? i know that i should be more inclined to double bet into loose opponents, but how about into a bunch of potential draws? it's tricky because my set is ahead either way, but i'm trying to strike a balance between A: disguising my hand, B: getting action on my set, and C: trying not to give them the correct odds on a draw.

ok here's another one:

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

seat one is a good player and has like $400 in front of him. he's tight though, and would've raised if he had anything better than a pair of jacks.

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises

my bet screams 'flush draw'... why is he raising? i thought he might just have a pair of jacks and was trying to push out that Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]... either that or he hit his kicker and has two pair.

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

OK, i have a flush draw and two overcards to his presumed pair of jacks (minimum hand i put him on, more likely two pair). my flush draw is kind of dead, but i should keep pushing here, right? (BTW, i am DONE with weak-tight play, i am now startng to be concerned that my play is tending towards being too aggressive in general, even though these hands aren't particulary representive of that)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: 3/6 high, two hands...

hand one:

I double bet here, you are up against a lot of opponents who are on draws. Make them pay the full amount to see the next card. If I was against fewer opponents who I had a good handle on I would do a single bet.

Hand 2: you could probably fold this on 3rd, there are a lot of spades out. I dont like the 3 bet on 4th unless you try to take a free card on 5th. Villan is raising because he knows there are a lot of dead spades.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand one:

I double bet here, you are up against a lot of opponents who are on draws. Make them pay the full amount to see the next card. If I was against fewer opponents who I had a good handle on I would do a single bet.

Hand 2: you could probably fold this on 3rd, there are a lot of spades out. I dont like the 3 bet on 4th unless you try to take a free card on 5th. Villan is raising because he knows there are a lot of dead spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said

And...double bet on the first hand because you don't have a live FH draw...and your quad card is out. This is not the time to invite a bunch of callers....espically when you'll probably get a taker or 2 if you double bet anyway.

Fold hand 2 on 3rd. Once you catch good on 4th you hand is worthy of a bet in a 4 way pot but once its heads up you are probably slightly behind...but you have great odds to call till the river
Old 05-11-2005, 09:31 PM

Beta:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am generally aganst folding a deadish three flush for a completion on third when i have an ace in my hand and a Q or a simaler card completes. without the hidden ace, i fold every time, but here i almost always call, especially since the hand is easy to get away from if i don't hit a flush card or a pair of aces...

as for the three bet on fourth, i intended to check behind if i bricked, but i caught another overcard to his J... two dimes shows me as ahead of a pair of jacks, even if he has an ace in the hole and despite the fact that three of my cards are dead.

and i think you're right about his raise- he was raising to get the Q out and isolate my dead-ish flush draw, but i know i'm ahead ('cause of the ace), so i was getting ready to jam this one...

Jon:

[ QUOTE ]
Once you catch good on 4th you hand is worthy of a bet in a 4 way pot but once its heads up you are probably slightly behind...but you have great odds to call till the river

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, on fourth, i am ahead. the difference maker is the ace i have in the hole. on fifth, i have two overcards to his jacks, and a deadish flush draw... throw in a little fold equity, and im now convinced that a bet as s semi-bluff and to disguise the flush draw is a must in this situation.

two dimes (4th st):

okenum -mc 500000 -7s jd js 3c qh - 3s as 7s 4s / qs 4h ts
7-card Stud Hi: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Js 3c Jd Qh 224830 44.97 275168 55.03 2 0.00 0.450
As 7s 4s 3s 275168 55.03 224830 44.97 2 0.00 0.550
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM

Another reason to double bet the first hand is that most people won't give you credit for the trips with the 4th ten staring them in the face.

A double bet screams "I have 2 pair and I don't want anyone to outdraw me"
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another reason to double bet the first hand is that most people won't give you credit for the trips with the 4th ten staring them in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The fact that the last 10 is visible will almost surely make others believe you don't have trips. Bet double on fourth; expect many callers.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 AM

I almost never play 7 stud, so take my advice with a grain of salt. It seems to me that you made a mistake by calling on 3rd street (in the second hand) because there was already three spades up. Especially after somebody completed and no-body in front of you has called.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Hand 1:

I almost always double bet here, but I’m playing lower limits than this and getting callers is usually not a problem. I think I can see your dilemma though.

OTOH, your hand has died a little with the case Ten and the Eight out.

It seems like a lot of players must call double bets without realizing it, because they do it so easily. I have first-hand experience with this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 2:

I would have folded on Third with the three spades out.

Don’t know that I understand the raise on Fourth since it’s already heads-up. Also, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get to act last on Fifth.