Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Default KK - would you lose your stack too?

As I had just sat down, I had no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, NL100 (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($38.95)
UTG ($197.25)
MP ($91.16)
CO ($178.95)
Hero ($124.14)
SB ($68.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $12, MP folds, CO calls $9.

Flop: ($41.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $85</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $111.14 (All-In), UTG calls $26.14.

Turn: ($263.78) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($263.78) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $263.78

Results to follow if anyones interested [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Many thanks for all comments,

Ojo_Rojo
Old 05-11-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: KK - would you lose your stack too?

No. UTG call, call, reeks of either AA (in which case, he would have likely reraised preflop) or a pocket pair hoping to hit a set.

Either way, he makes a very interesting bet on the flop. If your hand was strong, why overbet the pot like that? And if it was a bluff, why open yourself up to a loss that big when a 1.5 pot bet would likely have the same effect?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:59 PM

that is very tough. I am not so much worried about AA as i am a set or a made straight. I would say that there is a pretty good chance you are up against 99, but the overbet on the flop would really confuse me. If he has a monster than why make such a large bet on a flop like that? if everyone is holding AK and AQ type hand he wont get a caller, and there arent many free cards that help him.

edited to note: Interesting subject header by the way. you say "would you lose your stack too?" indicating that you already lost your stack.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:05 PM

I can only se that he got the T on river to trips.
AA ? Might have that but it is rare. QQ,JJ ? no way he has anything else what i think. Deppends on the reads. But in normal case it should be somthing like that ?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Well, thanks for the replies. I guess I shouldnt give away the results so early in the post...

The huge overbet did confuse me too, I figured that a flopped set would at least check-raise me on the flop, not just pushing as he did.

Anyway the villain turned over A2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the flopped straight.

Thanks again all,

Ojo_Rojo
Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM

What a great guy. A2s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM

I see $100NL players do this this sometimes with QQ, KK and AA. Weekends are the worst. There's $40 in the pot, they get scared or on a rush and decide they want to take it right there.

That said, I do the same play myself when I have a set on a rag flop, against obvious pp. It's just too hard to lay down for most people. Probably not that common though, for obvious reasons.

There is no way I could read his hand here, so I'd have to assume the kings are good and hope for the best. Scared queens or are the most obvious to me.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway the villain turned over A2 for the flopped straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is too funny
Old 05-11-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can only se that he got the T on river to trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be rude, but do you lose a lot? How can that be the only thing you see that beats a pair of unimproved Kings?

You have 3 coordinated cards on the flop. The most obvious is a straight. You have 3 possibilities for sets. You have 3 combinations of 2 pairs. And of course pocket Aces.