Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Wild Wild Hand

This was one of the most crazy hands I've ever been a part of. It had the best laydown I've seen and the worst calls that I've seen in a single hand. See if you can figure out what each of the 3 main hands are.

This is from a live 15-30 game. I will try to reconstruct it as best I can. Hero and Seat 6 are both fairly tight aggressive while Seat 1 is a maniac (as you will see).

I'm going to leave my hole cards hidden for the time being to make the detective work more interesting.

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

Pot - $171

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___double-bets___calls___calls

Pot - $531

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

Pot - $891

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___raises___calls
Hero: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___folds(!!)

Pot - $1191

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx ___raises___raises___raises
Hero: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises___raises___calls

Pot - $1551
Old 05-12-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Wild Wild Hand

Looks like obvious aces full on fifth for you. I cant see you having anything else. I'm guessing the six seat made one hell of a lay down with Queens full, or 8's full next? Its an awesome lay down if he did. Its one that I cant make, but against a tight player could be the right move. After all, what else can he put you on here when you cap sixth like its a no brainer. Hes essentially telling you "I'm full" and you're telling him back "I'm fuller". Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm capable of folding a boat here. But it does make sense. As for the maniac I'm not even going to try to guess. Whatever he has he obviously played like shiit. I'm taking trip 4's first, 222, JJJ, and then the very dead clubs for a flush.

Mike Emery
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 AM

If I told you that I lost this hand, can you figure out what maniac had?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:29 AM

Must be the straight flush; 23456 of clubs. Holy (censored) [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 AM

I would guess you had four kings and he had the straight flush?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:53 AM

(3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is my guess for his starting hand.

Wilder guess, since you said he's a maniac, is (J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], catching the case J on 7th for quads to beat your boat.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 AM

My guess is you have either Aces full of Kings or Quad Kings, for some reason I really think you have quads here. The guy that folded I think either has a smaller full house or again for some reason I think he has quads 8s and laid them down which is beyond me how he could do it. The other mainiac I'm a little confused with, I think maybe he had something like a straight flush draw and hit his flush on sixth. The SF is unlikely since you hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but maybe this guy is just a maniac and jammed it the whole time with you and just his flush. I hope he doesn't have a SF because I just might quit poker if I lost that pot. Hope like hell you took it down.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:25 PM

You clearly have at least Kings full in this situation, and my guess would be quads. Every single one of the maniac's board cards is dead, along with the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so the only possible hand he could have to beat even Kings full would be a 6 high straight flush in clubs. As to what the third player had, quad 8s does seem likely, in which case that is an amazing laydown. The only other holding I could imagine him having is buried Queens for Queens full.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Good reading by most everyone, though my hand certainly wasn't that difficult to read.

I had pocket As and made As full on 5th street. I think that any reasonable player would know that, given the action, I had either Ks Full, As full, or quad Ks.

The guy with the open 8s had pocket Qs and made Qs full on 5th street.

He said afterword that he was pretty sure he was beat on 5th, but that he decided to call and pray for the 4th Q. When the maniac caught Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on 6th street and I capped it again, he knew there was basically 0% chance that he could win the pot so he folded so save himself $90-$180.

That is the best laydown I've ever seen, considering the size of the pot. He only has to win 5-6% of the time in order to call, but he correct assumed that his chance to win was basically 0%.

When the maniac went crazy on 4th street and never slowed down, I first assumed he had 3 2s or 3 4s and was putting me on overplayed As and Ks or maybe a flush draw. Since I had 3 As, I wasn't worried, though I was puzzled that he continue to raise on 5th and 6th street even after my raising stated clearly that I had more than 2 pair.

After I filled on 5th, I wasn't worried about him beating me at all. Even if he had trips of some type, every single was of his quad cards was dead. I only had to worry if the 3rd player had, or would make quad 8s.

When he folded on 6th, I was ecstatic, since I knew there was no way I could lose.

When the raising continued on the river, I initially was prepared to go to the felt with this hand. After the 3rd reraise I begin to have doubts, though, and called for time and tried to think through the entire hand. While the guy was a maniac, he wasn't completely stupid, and I felt my hand would be obvious to anyone.

Noone would continue to raise my board with a small full house, would they? Even if he started with pocket Js and made Js full on river, he'd stop after 2 reraises I thought. Total maniacs can call/raise with anything during the hand, but they normally come to their senses on the river.

If he didn't have a full house, then was there any possible hand that would justify his betting pattern during the hand and total fearlessness on the river knowing there is no way possible he can make me fold?

I knew that clubs had been basically totally dead and, besides, noone would cap every street and reraise 3 times with a Q high flush would they?

Then realized that only the big clubs were dead. All the small clubs were live. I got a horrible sinking feeling when I realized that yes, he could have a straight flush and that he could have started with 2-3-4-5 of clubs which would partially explain his bets.

I tossed in the last $30 and asked him "Straight flush?"

He grinned and said "Yep!" and turned over the 3-5-6 of clubs.

I just sat there and shook my head while they pushed that massive pot to him.

The guy with Qs full asked him if he realized that both of us had full houses on 5th street.

The guy says "Yeah right, like you are going to fold Qs full in a pot that big. Besides, the both of you could be overplaying trips and even my flush might be good."

I'd like to say that I stayed and took all the maniac's money, but I was a bit shellshocked and decided to call it a night. The more I tried to examine and justify his betting pattern the more I realized that it simply wasn't possible. 4th street? Possible, but weak considering clubs were very dead. 5th and 6th street? No way.

I guess I missed that day at poker school. But he had all the chips, so I guess that makes him right!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:52 PM

there was a dead jack on 3rd i think