Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 PM

Default What are the ideal number of opponents for these hands?

So, I've finally gotten over the noobish desire to rely on strict preflop guidelines. It seems like the next phase for a rookie player like me is to determine whether to call/raise is: How many players do i want to play against with my hold cards?

I realize that analyzing the particular limpers / raisers who have already entered the pot is frequently more important that the raw number of people who might see a flop. Humor me and pretend that level of thinking is phase 3 - and I'm not yet ready for that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1. How many players are you hoping see the flop with medium pocket pairs?

QQ - AA fair well with any number of players and deserve a raise just for value. 22 - 66 prefer 4 or more opponents for trips value therefore usually deserve a call to encourage limpers. JJ, TT seem to do best vs. few players so i raise to limit the field. what is the ideal number of opponents with 77-99?

2. How about those medium offsuiters?

AK and AQ seem fine vs. many opponents but i usually raise just for value. AJ, AT, KQ, seem like they prefer less opponents, so i raise to limit the field. How many players do you want with KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT?

3. Suited broadway

Again i'm frequently raising/reraising for value with AK, AQ, KQ, AJ. AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT all seem like hands with a decent chance of winning shorthanded, but also a fair chance of winning huge pots multiway. How many players do i want?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: What are the ideal number of opponents for these hands?

i like to get medium pocket pairs heads up cuz ur usually against over cards. Premium pairs i want 2-3 callers 4 already makes me nervous if 3 doesnt. as far as broadways hands ace high broad way hands id want 2-3 oppts and if they are suited sky is the limit on how many i mind but 3 is enough 4 me to be happy. qj and hands like that u either want few oppts if ur going for top pair or many if your going for straight. If there are 6 ppl on the flop and u have qj and flop top pair id definately fold if its bet b4 me unless i know my oppt and decide to raise. Thats just me hope it helps. BTW small pocket pairs i want as many as possible