Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Default button movement after player busts out..

This situation came up at a live sitngo..Player who was in BB went all in and lost...Player to his left (who is the BB next hand)..says "Now I'm BB AND player next to him is BB?" then next hand same guy is SB next to him is also SB and next guy is BB..

After this, all is back to normal..I argued this is wrong

I thought the button shouldn't move after guy busted and the guy who was supposed to be BB is still BB and there is no SB?...Then the next hand... button still doesnt move and player who was BB is now SB and next player is the BB...THEN all is back to normal

who is correct?...and if I am...does the button really get to deal 3 times in a row?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: button movement after player busts out..

You are correct. No one can skip the Big Blind. And yes the button stays.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation came up at a live sitngo..Player who was in BB went all in and lost...Player to his left (who is the BB next hand)..says "Now I'm BB AND player next to him is BB?" then next hand same guy is SB next to him is also SB and next guy is BB..

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 2 rules that govern this situation, the "Dead Button Rule" or the "Moving Button Rule". The House should declare which rule will be followed before play begins.

Most choose the easier to follow "Dead Button Rule" which says (and I'm copying this from homepokertourney.com ( Link):

[ QUOTE ]

Dead Button Rule
"The big blind is posted by the player due for it, and the small blind and button are positioned accordingly, even if this means the small blind or the button is placed in front of an empty seat, giving the same player the privilege of last action on consecutive hands." (from Robert's Rules of Poker)

If the big blind busts out and is not replaced by a player from another table, the button moves to the player who was the small blind and the player to the left of the eliminated big blind posts the big blind. There is no small blind for that hand. On the following deal, the button moves to the now empty seat (the seat vacated by the eliminated big blind player) and the two players to the left post the normal blinds. Since the button is now located at an empty seat, the player who was the original small blind will, in effect, be the button once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Moving Button Rule
"The button always moves forward to the next player and the blinds adjust accordingly. There may be more than one big blind." (from Robert's Rules of Poker)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 PM

Great post and for clarity, in tourney situations, the dead button rule is preferred, as it is not fair in that setting for anyone to miss a Big Blind (as compared to a SB). This is the format adopted by the TDA and is used in every legal cardroom in America, except the Taj and The Orleans during tournaments.