Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Bubble Hand

$300 buyin event limit hold-em (yea, I know it's limit, but that's what they were spreading) at Commerce. First place
prize is around $23,000. They are paying 27 spots and we are
down to 4 tables.

I previously was at a horrible table with two maniacs to my left who were playing seemingly any two cards and I went card dry and the table is finally broken and I have around
T3500 in chips. Par is around T6500.

I raise in mid position with Kh Qs. There is a reasonably good chance BTF that I'll pick up the blinds of 200/ 400.
Big blind calls, with roughly same sized stack. I saw him
limp on the cutoff and then reraise when the big blind raised and he won without a showdown. On another hand headsup in BB against the SB he checked the whole way down with pocket Jacks and won a small pot. His play seems erratic.

Big Blind calls and flop comes Ah Ks 4h. I bet after checked to and he raises. I call. I think there is a chance he might be on a draw.

Turn Ah Ks 4h 7s

He bets. Is this an auto fold for me? If I call I probably
will committ all or most of my chips.

Comments appreciated.

Bruce [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Bubble Hand

Unless you're looking into his soul and know he has you beat, I think you have to be willing to go down in flames with this one. Too much chance your ahead and too many chips in the pot and too few left in front of you to fold. That being the case, I'm thinking you should raise the turn to get virtually all of your chips in now, in case he is on the draw, or a weaker king or something else. Also gives you a chance, however slight, that he'll fold a hand that's barely beating or tied with you.

Also, I think you're getting over 5 to 1 to call his turn bet. If he had say, Ace-Ten, (no flush draw), you've still got 5 outs, making you slightly better than 8 to 1. Combined with the chance that you're actually ahead, I think you've got to go with this one.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 PM

why not check behind on the flop? you can get more of his money when you're ahead. he probably only has 3-4 outs, if that many.

(i don't play limit)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:01 PM

His check-raise does not necessarily mean a big hand. I would 3-bet the flop. If he makes it 4, then I think you can put him on a better hand and fold. If he calls, he is then likely to check the turn, which gives you better options:
(1)You save half a bet if you want to check through and see a cheap showdown, or
(2)You bet the turn if it helped you or if you think he can fold a weak ace since you have represented a better hand.