Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Solid Play or Spewing Chips?

I thought maybe this guy was rolled up but I had such a strong draw I couldn't see why not to jam it. This is the right play correct? Let me know what you guys think.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

4th Street

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Solid Play or Spewing Chips?

I dont think I reraise on 5th because youre almost undoubtedly beat at the moment in one direction. I tend to play too passively I think so it may be just fine.

Id play the rest of the hand the same way.

Aicirt
Old 05-10-2005, 03:39 AM

I dont play much HiLo but I really dont like the play on 5th.

You are not going to make the villan fold, you probably need one of the three live fours to have a chance to scoop and you don't even have a made low at this point, infact even if you made a low there is a decent chance it will not be good.

6th is a clear fold as is 7th.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 AM

With tons of money in the pot there is no way I'm folding sixth. Seventh is a crying call though.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:46 AM

your right about calling 6th. My bad its late and I am tired.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 PM

I think it's pretty safe to assume that seat 8 has a monster, aces or better, maybe three to a low SF, i generally don't worry about rolled hands, if they happen, they happen, and you'll just have to lose some money. at the very least, he has something like 678 with two to a suit, but probably much more. seat 5 is in big trouble.

-i like third.
-i like fourth, i definitly cap.
-it's probably important to bet out on fifth, otherwise you're totally giving away your hand. i just call the raise, though, since he might have a made low if he was playing a SF.
-on sixth, there's no folding in a pot that big.
-on seventh, fer crying out loud, fold! the only way you could possibly have half the pot is if he didn't have ANY of the hands that i put him on on third, AND didn't make a pair higher than your fives. with all that capping, the chance of that is like, zero, imo. stranger things have happened, i suppose, but lacking good reads, you just bricked and it's time to save a bet.

i consider myself to be pretty good about making good folds on seventh when it's clear that i'm beat, but it stil hurts to be betting and raising the whole way and then chuck my cards when i don't hit a monster draw.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:53 PM

Yeah I think I should have folded on the river, but the pot was so big I just thought if there was any chance he just had a low I had to take it. Probably a clear fold though. Part of it was probably I was pissed off I missed my monster draw too though.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Capping on fourth is OK, although you're behind rolled-up Eights, and you're virtually tied with pocket Aces. Don't know what else you think he could have. On fifth, you are a distinct underdog against both hands, so you have to slow down. I would definitely check and call. On sixth, you have to check and call. I'm not one to lay down a pair on the river in a big heads-up pot, but there is nothing you can beat. He either started with a big pair that beats you, or he started with a low three-card flush which got there on sixth. You just threw your money away there.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Results

Everyone was right he started with a great hand 238 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

** Summary **
Main Pot: $44.5 | Rake: $1
mikescags balance $11.75, lost $20.25 [ 3h 2s 5c 6d 5s Jc Qd ] [ a pair of fives -- Qd,Jc,6d,5c,5s ]
JimboGP balance $122.03, bet $20.25, collected $44.5, net +$24.25 [ 2c 3s 8c 4s Ac 3c 8d ] [ LO: 8,4,3,2,A | HI: two pairs, eights and threes -- Ac,8c,8d,3s,3c ]