Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Default advice on controlling emotions and staying focussed!

i know this sounds like a simple basic question, but i think it is the biggest leak in my game. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to help overcome the basic stress of a session that lead to bad decisions. I can't stand playing for 5 hours and getting restless and stressed and blowing off half my chips on simple mistakes. Some one help me please!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: advice on controlling emotions and staying focussed!

Get up and leave at the 4 hour 59 minute mark then. Whatever it is for you.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 PM

i advocate leaving before you make a mistake.

i advocate stopping immeditately if you get a bad beat that could tilt you.

alot of people give you: its all one session, stay if the game is good, but you have to consider whether or not you are getting a lil tired. personally, i always seem either too tight or too loose at the end of a session. start getting bored, restless, whatever.. its time to go get a turkey sandwich.

[ QUOTE ]
i know this sounds like a simple basic question, but i think it is the biggest leak in my game. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to help overcome the basic stress of a session that lead to bad decisions. I can't stand playing for 5 hours and getting restless and stressed and blowing off half my chips on simple mistakes. Some one help me please!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-09-2005, 10:59 PM

i think its all about getting in the right mindset throughout your session i have really learned to change my outlook like today i won a big pot on a rivered straight and its nice for the pot to come your way but i realized that i had played the hand bad and thought of how to play it better and then later i got unlucky in a large pot but i was satisfied with how i played the hand, realize everything equals out, think about if your play was maximizing ev even when you are running great, to constantly be critical of your play even when you are winning puts you in the right mindset when you are running bad because you can be confident you are maximizing EV. also get up after a long session if you get a bad beat this is when you are much more likely to go on tilt