Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Daniel Negreanu formally challenges anyone to a Heads Up Match:

I probably shouldn't be telling everybody about this before I run it by the people at the Wynn, but I have an idea that I think will be lots of fun for me, and hopefully profitable as well.

It's pretty simple really: I'll play anyone in the world a heads up freeze out for any amount from $100,000 to $500,000. As for the game of choice- I'll let you pick it from the following list. You can choose just one or any mix of games you want.

Limit Hold'em
Omaha H/L
Stud H/L
Stud
2-7 Triple Draw
A-5 Triple Draw
Pot Limit Omaha
Pot Limit Hold'em
No Limit Hold'em

I won't refuse anyone. The only stipulation I have is that if I lose a match to someone I have the right to take my lumps like a man and quit. If Phil Ivey comes down to the Wynn and plays me heads up for $500,000 for example, I won't back down. In my opinion, he is a better Stud player than me, but I'll play him anyway and hopefully learn a thing or two.

If I'm lucky enough to win, I'd gladly give him a rematch. If I feel truly outclassed, I won't accept any more challenges in that game from him. However, he is welcome to choose a new game from the list.

I have structures in mind for all of the various games based on the amount we are playing for. For example, in a $100,000 limit hold'em challenge we'd play $1500-$3000 until one of us has it all.

If it was a $500,000 limit hold'em match, we'd play $5,000-$10,000 limit, giving us 50 big bets each to add more play.

Since it is a freeze out format neither player can quit until we wipe the other out. We can take breaks, schedule it over several days, or play straight through. I'm very flexible on that. The matches would have to work around my tournament schedule, but I will definitely make any and all challenges a priority regardless of the amount. Feeling lucky anyone?

-Daniel Negreanu
Old 05-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu formally challenges anyone to a Heads Up Match:

Here is the Link:

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poke...ic.php?t=11498
Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Is it just me or are those very large blinds?

30BB buy-in in the first case, a lousy 50BB in the second. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the speed of online play, but it seems to me that there's just not much play there, especially in the first case. I would think that 50BB would be the utter absolute minimum for a freezeout, and something like 75BB-100BB would make more sense.

Like I said, I'm probably just spoiled by the speed of online play.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Is it just me or are those very large blinds?

[ QUOTE ]
30BB buy-in in the first case, a lousy 50BB in the second. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the speed of online play, but it seems to me that there's just not much play there, especially in the first case. I would think that 50BB would be the utter absolute minimum for a freezeout, and something like 75BB-100BB would make more sense.

Like I said, I'm probably just spoiled by the speed of online play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, for people worse than Negreanu this format would give them a better shot at winning the freezeout. And if Daniel is playing someone better than himself the same applies.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:41 PM

I'm sure Daniel thought about the size of the blinds relative to the buy-in, it's the first thing pros think about. So, assuming that his consideration was to increase the luck factor (a different reason might be to decrease the time spent?), what conclusion can we draw from this?

I guess my conclusion is that he is viewing this as one long game at stakes to make it worth his while, instead of caring whether he wins the individual freezeouts.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Yeah, allowing some rich slechp to beat him without haveing to "throw" the game would def give others the idea that they could to.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:47 PM

i think i can take him. anyone wanna help stake me?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:51 PM

I can put in about...20$ maybe 30$. I will need to get a cut though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 PM

James282 and I played 3 33 big bet limit holdem matches in an hour or two. That's what happens when you match 2 good/aggressive players vs eachother. There is so much short-term luck in HU limit holdem and we decided if we do it again 100bb is at least more reasonable.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:56 PM

We really should stake schneids to take him on. I'd put 10k up for that. It would be amusing at least...and money better spent than for myself on the WSOP.