Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Has poker killed my education?

So I'm sitting here in the school library. 6 page paper due comparing and contrasting two terrorism books (that I only kinda read) to a couple of terrorism theories I don't understand well.

It's 8:30pm and I really need to get cracking. But instead I've been browsing and posting on 2+2 for the past hour because I have no interest in the paper and all the interest in the world at improving my poker game.

This is a trend I've noticed in my life. Now, I'm not about to fail out of school and I will probably grind out a C paper by the end of the night. This is my 4th year and I have a 3.0 and have one year left -- I'm going to finish it. But in reality I can't wait until the day I graduate and can potentially play full time. Obviously, I have a year to judge the potential continued profitablity of online poker, my bankroll, etc. but I can't help but feel I am over this school thing and that I just want to get out of here now.

Poker has killed my education, basically. How sad is it? I'm going to get my degree but I feel with everyday I lose more interest in school. I don't know what kind of answer I'm looking for (and I expect the "poker won't last forever, get your degree" answers). I just feel somewhat sad that I can't do my homework right now.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Has poker killed my education?

This is very sad indeed. By far education comes first, regardless if you don't plan to take it anywhere. If you are surfing 2+2 with little time left in your ever important essay you are indeed addicted, take a break and get your priorities straight.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 PM

I spend waaayyy to much time on this site while I should be studying I am busy posting away, or working on my poker game, I really should be doing school work and getting better grades, but all I think about all day long is poker, something I am very passionate about it....Most likley I need to get my prioties straight but sometimes I wonder, is college all its really cracked up to be.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:48 PM

Everything you do is part of your education. Right now, you are paying for the opportunity to learn about political science (safe to assume, given the subject of your paper?). The opportunity to learn and think about poker will still be there long after your time at school is up.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 PM

i am sitting in the liberary not working on my 25 page paper, i think 1/2 of the liberary is not working on something tho...
dave
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 AM

been there done that

and i have no helpfull advice for you bro, right now i am jobless, playing poker, and have no desire to get a job yet

my second session thesis for my honors year could possibly be the worst thesis ever submited in the history of physics thesis's at my university
Old 04-28-2005, 05:33 AM

I didn't start playing poker until just after I graduated from college, but I think what you are going through is normal procrastination.

When I was in school, I found a million things to do instead of my homework.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Dude, college sucks. They call i geting an education, but you generally don't learn antyhing worthwhile, and spend a lot of time doing worhless busy-work. For what? not to be well educated, we all know that that is B.S. it's so that ou can have job securiy, so that ou know that whenever you want u can put on a suit and a tie and g a 30k a year job. Meanwhile ou realiz that you can make money with poker and that this whole college thing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I hav 3 friends that have dropped out of collge for poker, I'm a 4th year and i'm gonna stick it out 1 more year
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, college sucks. They call i geting an education, but you generally don't learn antyhing worthwhile, and spend a lot of time doing worhless busy-work. For what? not to be well educated, we all know that that is B.S. it's so that ou can have job securiy, so that ou know that whenever you want u can put on a suit and a tie and g a 30k a year job. Meanwhile ou realiz that you can make money with poker and that this whole college thing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I hav 3 friends that have dropped out of collge for poker, I'm a 4th year and i'm gonna stick it out 1 more year

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully in that 5th year you take a typing class [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For what? not to be well educated, we all know that that is B.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will understand the value of the "education" you are getting in a few years. University is for education. But don't confuse "education" with "factual lerning".
In years to come, when you don't remember any of the things you learned at university, you will still benefit from the education you got.