Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 05:27 PM

Default WSOP ME vs. online: basic strategy questions

About how many hands per level can a player expect to see in the WSOP ME? How does that compare to online MTTs, especially UB?

What kinds of adjustments does a player need to make going from the typical online MTT to the WSOP in terms of the starting stack and level progression? I realize this is a broad question; broad answers are welcome. For example, should TAGs generally play TAGgier and LAGs play LAGgier? Or should everyone loosen up? Or tighten up? Or just play their normal game? Are open raises generally in the 2BB-6BB range early on, or do you frequently see bigger?

I see this hand posted by Sklansky as an example of a play that was influenced by a deep stack structure and that would have been beyond me had I been in his shoes. (I would have raised to 1200 and folded to more aggression.) As a WSOP qualifier but relative noob, I'm out of my depth in these big events and am trying to narrow the gap before July.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME vs. online: basic strategy questions

I dont have a multitude of experience on this, but I did play in the WSOP ME last year and a coupel of WPT events, so here goes.
a) Play your game. If you try something else you'll get out of your element and be in big trouble against top level competition.
b) You'll play about 1/2 as many hands per hour live v. online. To me this is the hardest adjustment as I tend to get antsy feeling like I am beeing a complete rock just due to the fact that I am used to quicker action. Here again is a good reason to stick to your basic style as you can be assured that regardless of the feelings you may have, you are playing a similar % of hands as you are used to.
c) Opening bets as far as 3-5xBB are standard and larger are rare just like online.
d) Don't let that hand analysis throw you. If he had just raised preflop he would have better defined his hand and wouldn't be in such a quandry post flop. That again goes towards just playing you standard game whatever that may be.
Other than that, good luck, all of us will need it with 5000+ participants.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll play about 1/2 as many hands per hour live v. online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which translates into about 5x as many hands per level if you're used to 12-minute levels like I am. Sounds nice, actually.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Try to play in small buyin B&M tourneys. In an online event you know at all times the size of the relative stacks and how
large the pot is. It's very easy to calculate pot odds, etc.
In a B&M event you'll find this much more problematic and difficult to do.

Bruce
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 PM

I probably should have mentioned that I have played a bunch of B&M poker, too. I won my seat in a B&M tourney, in fact. But the B&M structures I've played have been even faster in terms of hands per level, with 15- or 20-minute levels and starting stacks of 20BB-30BB. Also, almost all of them have been rebuys. I guess they've probably been good for getting a feel for live play, but definitely not for deep-stack/long-level strategy.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 PM

implied odds implied odds implied odds. oh and beware reverse implied odds.