Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Meaning of suckout?

Player A has Ad Kd
Player B has 4h 5h
Flop is 2h 6h Ts
Players are all-in on the flop. If Player B wins, did he suckout on Player A? Does suckout mean drawing to the best hand, or does it mean coming from behind to win?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Meaning of suckout?

I don't think it's a clearly defined term. I would say technically 'suckout' could be applied any time an underdog wins the hand, but usually it is applied when someone is a relatively large dog to begin with.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 PM

That's definitely not a suckout - there's a fair chance player B will win this hand - any 4/5/A/7/heart and player B will likely win. That's around 9+5+3+3=20 outs. With so many outs, in fact, player B here is the favorite to win this hand.

Here is a suckout:

Player A: AA
Player B: KT

Flop: A35

B goes all-in, A calls.
Turn Q.
River J.

A was a huge favorite as only 2 Kings, 2 Jacks or QJ would win it for B.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM

A suckout is any draw that beats what I think is my better hand. If I hold Ac2d and the flop is AhKc10h, and your KQh catches a flush on the river to beat me, and you stupidly bet and raised at every opportunity, you sucked out on me and you are a moron, an idiot, a retard and you will lose all of your money to me before the night is out. This must be true, because many of my opponents have told me so when I was the one with the KQh.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM

I know he's a favorite. That was the whole point of using this hand. But, even though he's a favorite, he's still behind and he needs to catch a card to win. So, by the strict literal definition of suckout, as is agreed upon by majority of the poker community, is this a suckout?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Player A has Ad Kd
Player B has 4h 5h
Flop is 2h 6h Ts
Players are all-in on the flop. If Player B wins, did he suckout on Player A? Does suckout mean drawing to the best hand, or does it mean coming from behind to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

A suckout to me is being > 80% favorite to win, both players being all-in with cards to come, and then losing.

Preflop:
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 39.3762 % [ 00.39 00.00 ] { 5h4h }
Hand 2: 60.6238 % [ 00.60 00.00 ] { AdKd }

Losing isn't a suckout here to me, its a marginal advantage that didn't go your way.

On the flop:
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 63.0303 % [ 00.63 00.00 ] { 5h4h }
Hand 2: 36.9697 % [ 00.37 00.00 ] { AdKd }

AKs is behind, so its not a suckout. Preflop you're ahead but not dominating the guy, and on the flop AKs is behind. There is no suckout.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:46 PM

In addition to all the above comments, to me a suckout is when I have a good hand with outs and odds to call, play it properly, and someone who should have folded his junk cards preflop just hangs in there until he catches a miracle card on the river.