Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Gambling debt and check fraud... need help

Gambling debt and check fraud... need help

Long story made short... 1/2 NL hold em, I ended up +$400 for the night from this person. They wrote me a check since they didn’t have the cash (my first BIG mistake). I made sure to get all of there person info including there home and work info. Turns out I was paid with a stolen check. The home phone # I have for this person is still good, but I don’t think I will be able to make them pay. Should I take this to the local authorities? I know this is a gambling debt, but it also involves check fraud... Should I just write this off as a loss or should I try to pursue it??? Is there ANYTHING I can do short of showing up at the house with hired thugs? $400 is a good amount to me and I would really not like to see this "win" turned into a loss...

I know im an idiot for taking a check, but any help is GREALY appreciated..
Old 05-03-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Gambling debt and check fraud... need help

First of all you're retarted for loaning money or whatever caused you to take the back check..and you get extra retarded points for taking a check.

How do you know this check is bad?

In either case call contact the guy and tell him if he doesn't give you the money you'll contact the police seems like a good threat that doesn't involve thugs.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:15 AM

First of all this bad check was all profit from that night. Second, I know this check is bad because the bank told me so. Third, I KNOW it was beyond retarded to take a check, but it was my only option at that point. I was paid $100 in cash and I had to assume the rest would be paid. Worst case scenario the check was fake and im still up $100 for the night. Best case scenario, the check is good and im up $500. MY CURRENT scenario, im up $100, but still missing that other $400.

All im asking is how, if possible, can i get that other $400 back.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all this bad check was all profit from that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's still your money.
Look up the guy's address in a reverse lookup phone book (the local phone book company's website should have this).

Call him and tell him, "Hi, I'd like my money back. Your check bounced. How would you like to settle this? If I don't get the money by <insert date here>, maybe I you would like an appointment by the local police? Or perhaps I could meet you at your place at <insert previously looked up address here>. What do YOU think would be best?"
Old 05-03-2005, 03:57 AM

KK: "I made sure to get all of there person info including there home and work info. Turns out I was paid with a stolen check."

This doesn't make sense. If you got his id you would have known the check wasn't under his name.

How do you know you have his correct home phone number?

Who ran this game and why did they allow the man to play with chips he didn't pay for?

If you take this to the police you might get him in trouble for passing a stolen check, IF YOU CAN PROVE IT, but I doubt it will get you your money. If you were involved in running the game you may find yourself in some trouble.

I doubt you can hire Thugs cheap enough to make that route viable. If you do hire cheap ones you will get what you pay for. And you may find yourself paying more than you thought in more ways than one.

Maybe you could be the Thug yourself in which case you may end up thinking about your money in jail.

Your best bet, if the number is really legitimate, is to contact him and reason with him. If you try threatening him you may be the one getting visited by some of his friends. Sounds like you've hooked up with some bad company here. If he refuses to pay up I think you're just out of luck - which is what you deserve imo.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all this bad check was all profit from that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's still your money.
Look up the guy's address in a reverse lookup phone book (the local phone book company's website should have this).

Call him and tell him, "Hi, I'd like my money back. Your check bounced. How would you like to settle this? If I don't get the money by <insert date here>, maybe I you would like an appointment by the local police? Or perhaps I could meet you at your place at <insert previously looked up address here>. What do YOU think would be best?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a the best idea ive heard. I will try it and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the telephone template [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hopefully i can make this work for me.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:31 AM

I would start a little slower with this guy. Call him and tell him that the bank wouldn't take the check. Let him come up with a solution then. I have always found that going straight to the threats doesn't always speed things along.

If he doesn't offer to pay then take it straight to the prosecutor. You don't need to tell him that the check is from a poker game. All he needs to know if it comes to this is that you have a fraudulent check.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 PM

$400 is nothing. You got a cheap lesson. My lesson only cost $600 and I feel lucky. I would not have any further contact with this kind of person unless you are prepared for violence.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Best advice of the thread. One for Boris.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 PM

Mine only cost $50. Thank God.