18-21 76 24.76%
22-25 66 21.50%
26-30 59 19.22%
31-45 81 26.38%
45+ 11 3.58%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Is racism okay?

About a week ago, I posted a question on here basically asking: Is it racism if you have certain racial requirements for your spouse?

The responses were overwhelmingly one of two:

1.) Yes, it's racism

or

2.) It's perfectly normal, acceptable behavior (ignoring whether or not it's racist).

So, my question now is....is it EVER acceptable to be racist (use your own definition of the word here...don't respond saying 'depends on your definition of racism').

Is racism ever 'okay'?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Is racism okay?

Racism, by definition, is not ok. It presupposes certain things about a person just because they belong to a particular race, which is stupid and wrong. Especially when those presuppositions effect the person in a negative way.

Being picky about spouse based on race isn't necessarily racism. If you just don't find a certain group of people physically attractive there is nothing you can do about that. If, however, you automatically assume all of those people are a certain way due to their race and so choose not to consider them as a potential spouse, then you're being racist and not cool.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Your personal attraction doesn't have anything to do with your racial beliefs.

I tend to not find asians hot... that doesn't mean I'm racist against asians, it just means they don't do it for me.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:44 AM

racism is okay as long as it's rooted in fact. hahaha jk.

uhm. well, i believe in the existence of a universal aesthetic. so... it doesn't matter what you are. as long as you're hot, you're hot.

plus, there's all kinds of people that you could relate to on a deep level. and they might not necessarily be like you. hence... limiting yourself is bad. always try to keep your options open.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I tend to not find asians hot... that doesn't mean I'm racist against asians.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure that just means you're crazy [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 AM

Yes, it's ok when your audience is not offended.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 AM

Lets say you 'met' somebody...via an ad, online, through a friend, whatever, and you guys hit it off amazingly. I mean, you clicked like you never clicked before. You have never actually met her, though, and just talked to her on the phone.

And now you wanna meet her. You are going to meet at a restaurant, and she describes herself to you for the umpteenth time, but this time includes the fact that she's Asian (she hadn't mentioned it before).

Would you now refuse to meet her?

(if you say yes, I'd say that you are closed-minded at the very least)

Josh
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I tend to not find asians hot... that doesn't mean I'm racist against asians.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure that just means you're crazy [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, asians look funny without that roll in their eye [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you 'met' somebody...via an ad, online, through a friend, whatever, and you guys hit it off amazingly. I mean, you clicked like you never clicked before. You have never actually met her, though, and just talked to her on the phone.

And now you wanna meet her. You are going to meet at a restaurant, and she describes herself to you for the umpteenth time, but this time includes the fact that she's Asian (she hadn't mentioned it before).

Would you now refuse to meet her?

(if you say yes, I'd say that you are closed-minded at the very least)

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference from having a relationship (I'm talking on the friend level, not sexual) with a woman that's asian and being attracted to an asian.

Not being attracted to asians is a very general statement because there's always some hot asian I would rail, but for the most part, they just don't do it for me.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not being attracted to asians is a very general statement because there's always some hot asian I would rail, but for the most part, they just don't do it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, and i guess that's my point (if I have one...). In my original post a week ago, somebody made a remark that they generally weren't attracted to black women, but the most attractive person he ever dated was black. he included a moral like "so, if i had just stuck to my general rule of thumb, i woulda missed out on this gorgeous girl".

See, I'm not talking about "general rule". I'm talking about steadfast, written in concrete rules. "I absolutely will not seriously date/marry a person of x race".

'generally being attracted to' is totally different.

Josh