Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Review my HU Hand

$11 SNG. Here's the hand. Tell me how you would have played it differently, at each stage, if you would have:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter

Button (t4850)
Hero (t3150)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls t200, Hero checks.

Flop: (t800) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, Button calls t400.

Turn: (t1600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

River: (t2400) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t3650 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Review my HU Hand

If you folded the river, you played it exactly how I would've.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Same here. Middle pair heads-up is OK ... until you have to call an all-in to see if they're good.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Same here... I don't let the tourney ride on a mid-pair. Pick a better spot to win the tourn.

The only thing I may have done differently might have been to try a CR on the turn after he bet the same as your flop bet. He's probably thinking you were just trying a probing bet on the flop to see if he had anything, when you checked the turn, he may have thought you'd give up on a bluff. Since it's head's up, you gain a ton of info on the opp's hand by raising. But that's something I'd do randomly, not all the time.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 PM

I probably would have either pushed preflop against his weak-ass call, pushed the flop or check-raised him all-in. And probably would have run into a monster pair or a J.

I was once accused of being a little too aggressive heads-up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 06:51 PM

You've got less than 7 times the BB. This is not a time for min-bets and min-calls. If your opponent is aggressive, I would have CR all-in on the flop. If your opponent is passive, I push and protect my hand. You don't have time to worry about whether he has a jack or not, you need chips. If you're sure he won't bet unless he has something, but might call with nothing, then go ahead and min-bet. This does not describe many players, however.

If I got to the turn the way you did, I'd ask myself again, how tight and aggressive is he? If he's at all tight, it's highly unlikely he called the flop with any hand you're ahead of, and you have no draw, so give up, check/fold. If he's loose and aggressive, I would correct my mistake of not CR all-in on the flop by doing it now.

If he's the type to play big pairs this way heads up (it looks like he's screaming that he has AA or KK), again, check/fold the turn.

Calling that turn bet accomplishes nothing, because I don't believe you're going to call another bet of any size on the river (to do so against average 10+1 opponents would be madness), and it's looking likely that he will indeed bet the river. Push or fold, don't call off large chunks of your stack with weak made hands.

-Phoenix