Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Default hypothetical question / hopefully a good answer

This is something I have been thinking about today.

Is it possible to classify mistakes that are made, whether it be limping Q5o in early position, not value betting, etc.
Could we put a value on the mistake. Say you play 1/2, some mistakes may be worth $1, some mistakes may cost you a whole pot.

Then we could estimate how many mistakes we make per session. Say a session is 300-500 hands. Hopefully we are not making any mistakes but we know it happens. I would also be curious if people think about this at all. Do you look back at a session whether it be a winning or losing session and critique your play at all?

This maybe a little ridiculous, but I thought it might be worth a thought, heck some people may already be doing this. If we could say we make on average 1 or 2 mistakes per session, then put a value on the mistake in dollars, then we could esimate how much it can cost us over time.

I'm not sure how we would keep track of mistakes, maybe jot it down as we're playig.

This maybe interesting, or not, but I just wanted to write out my thoughts. The big reason for this is that I have been playing good for the past 4 months and I want to analyze how well I am playing vs how well I am running.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: hypothetical question / hopefully a good answer

It would be tough to both track mistakes and quantify them while playing. David (or Mason, but i think david) has an essay on the types of mistakes you can make while playing in the essays section of this site (twoplustwo.com/essays, i believe). Some would cost you the pot, others cost a bet, others cost a fraction of the bet. i'm not nearly good enough at math/stats to figure this out.

There are other tools for figuring out how well/ poorly you are running. Here's a link.
You could also check this out, to get a confidence interval based on the stats you have to this point.
-steve
Old 05-03-2005, 04:51 PM

If I only made 1 or 2 mistakes per session, I'd be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sometimes I know fairly quickly when I make a mistake...like seconds after I make it. My real fear is all the mistakes I make that I don't even realize are mistakes yet.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to classify mistakes that are made, whether it be limping Q5o in early position, not value betting, etc.
Could we put a value on the mistake. Say you play 1/2, some mistakes may be worth $1, some mistakes may cost you a whole pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This tends to be hard to do in any consistent manner. There are too many variables going into a play. For example, limping K9s UTG is great sometimes, terrible other times. It depends on the table texture.

[ QUOTE ]
This maybe a little ridiculous, but I thought it might be worth a thought, heck some people may already be doing this. If we could say we make on average 1 or 2 mistakes per session, then put a value on the mistake in dollars, then we could esimate how much it can cost us over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only made 1 or 2 mistakes per 300-500 hands, you could probably be cleaning up in a $20-40 game and making a decent living. Even though we may 'feel' like there are only a few hands per session that are interesting, the truth is probably that some 30% of the hands you play have errors (which includes bad limps), and some 5% of the hands you don't play probably should have been played.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how we would keep track of mistakes, maybe jot it down as we're playig.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good practice to have anyway. Even if you don't quantify your mistakes, you should make note of things that go poorly (or strangely) and review them later.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:05 PM

yea, good point, I guess thats why we are here on this site. Probably the best way to learn is to post hands and read hand posts, as they are real live situations as they occur.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM

I just started doing this last night, so I guess it can help to just keep track of the things that go right and what goes wrong. Then learn from it.

I figured it would be too hard to specify exact errors and values, but if there is an easier way to do things, its worth asking. I have read some very good posts about different things people are doing and they come up with some great ways to do things I may have never thought of.

thanks for the replies, those links to the other threads are really good.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM

I spend a lot of time using pokertracker to review the hands I play either after I'm done for the session or with my morning coffee. I've learned a ton doing this.

I 8-table so I don't have a lot of time to reflect on the hands I play at the time they're being played.