Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Is the Poker Stars bonus worth it for an SnG\'er?

In case you haven't heard, PS is doing a reload bonus: 20% up to $120. Based on the way their bonus earnout structure works, this would mean that I could play 60 $20 SnGs and PS would pay my vig.

My question is whether or not this is a good deal, since I've never played a PS SnG (except for a few shots before I really knew what I was doing). I'm thinking it would probably be a good experience since I would be learning how to play with a larger stack as well as just a nice change of pace.

However, I'm worried what it might do to my earnings. I've never played anything other than 5+0.50s and Turbo 6+0.50s and they seemed a lot slower than Party as well. And I really have no idea how tough the games are (I was thinking about either the 22s or the Turbo 27s). I'd hate to play a bunch and end up negative (although if I learned something, I probably wouldn't mind breaking even).

Can someone give me a little insight into the Poker Stars SnG world?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Is the Poker Stars bonus worth it for an SnG\'er?

I do reload bonuses for one main reason (moneywise I might as well play SnGs), to keep my ring games somewhat in good shape. Also its pretty good mulitabling training, with more decisions than when multitabling SnGs.

edit: forgot. This one will give me over 1500 FPP, so I can order SSH.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Just divide everything (stacks, blinds, etc.) by two in your head and pretend you're on Party. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, I don't see how it can be much different once you get past the very first level, but i don't play on Party, so I don't know. On Levels 1 and 2 at Stars, you can open-limp with any pocket pair from any position and hope to create a limpfest and spike a set - that's one major difference. The Turbos take 40-45 minutes or so. I don't play the regular ones, but I'm pretty sure the average one would be over an hour.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do reload bonuses for one main reason (moneywise I might as well play SnGs), to keep my ring games somewhat in good shape. Also its pretty good mulitabling training, with more decisions than when multitabling SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're suggesting that I'd be better off playing a cash game?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:30 PM

dfscott its a good deal. Just deposit and wait for the day that you play there. I think I have 3 uncleared bonuses on Stars but I know that someday I'll get paid on them.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're suggesting that I'd be better off playing a cash game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you play high limit SnGs I think it would take quite a while to clear the bonus using that. Last time I played a stars SnG it took 90 minutes.

Of course the bonus is pretty slow to clear using ring tables also, but a long day at 1/2 should do it.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dfscott its a good deal. Just deposit and wait for the day that you play there. I think I have 3 uncleared bonuses on Stars but I know that someday I'll get paid on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, they never expire, do they? I forgot about that. I haven't played on PS since I was using WLLH strategy to beat the .25/.50 limit game.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreeed, Pstars bonuses last forever I think. I like to play MTTs from time to time and heads-up SNGs when I'm feeling frisky. No reason not to have a bonus waiting for me.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM

I have no insight. I cashed out of PS like 4 months ago, then chose last night to put some money back in....and today they announce a bonus. Bastards.

I'm sure I'm better off spending my time on party than grinding out this crappy bonus, but it still annoys me for some reason.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Cool just noticed Im 20 FPPs away from a $150 bonus!!!