Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Default question about monitors

For a 20-21 inch monitor, what is the minimum resolution I need to 4 table with no overlap? Are there any other concerns I should look into when buying a monitor this size?

Forgive me if this has been posted. I did a brief search and didn't really find anything.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: question about monitors

1600x1200

The 20.1 in Dell 2001FP seems to be the favorite of 2+2ers...I'm currently looking for a deal on one but not finding anything south of $550. Some have been had for around 4.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:43 PM

What is the cheapest I could get a monitor for that can reach 1600x1200? (ballpark)

Can someone explain what is wrong with this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...32211&rd=1
Old 05-01-2005, 08:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with that monitor but you can probably get a similar one brand new for about the same price.

The monitor is a CRT monitor while the Dell 2001fp is a LCD. The CRT monitors have a subtle strobbing effect that can be very hard on the eyes after a while. The LCD's have no strobbing effect and can be looked at without eye fatigue for much longer durations. I have a 19" CRT of similar quality to the one you linked next to my 2001fp and I almost never look at it. In 1600 x 1200 the text is very small and the poker tables are a tiny bit to small for my liking. If you can wait until you can get the $550 for the 2001fp do it. You'll be much happier with it. (The 2001fp is one of the cheapest 1600 x 1200 resolution LCD but despite that it gets high marks for quality. I can wait until I can afford to get a second to replace my CRT for good in my dual monitor setup)
Old 05-01-2005, 08:51 PM

For all of those people who love LCD's, I love CRT's.

They have better color depth, sharpness, and contrast.

As far as the "flickering" affect. Ambient light makes a HUGE difference. Use soft white bulbs. Whatever you do don't use flouresents as the "cycle" too close to the same rate as your monitor and double the "flickering" affect. Also try raising or LOWERING your refresh rate. Sometimes lower is better dependent on ambient lighting.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:36 AM

This is what i currently have

kds avitron

4 tabling cards are a bit blurry, have occassionaly misread suits... how much of a difference would one expect to notice with a dell 2001fp?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM

anyone?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 AM

Amen.

I just replaced a failing CRT with an LCD, and it's going to be a tough thing to get used to. Aside from the drastically narrower viewing angle, and the fact that even though it's only a 17" LCD, there are still some serious white level gradients around the edges (due to the more limited viewing angle).

I've tried doing photo touchup work on LCDs. I always go back to CRTs.

Interesting comment about lowering the refresh rate. I'm in a minority of 1, but I find that higher refresh rates beat horribly against flourescent lights, so I generally set my CRT refresh to 60Hz, since it generally matches what the lights are doing. I have no problems with eyestrain from this setup, although virtually everyone else I talk to say they would.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Guys,

I posted this a few weeks ago - thought it was relevant to this thread. Note: this is a 17" Flat Panel - not CRT. It is fine for 4 tabling but not super clear for general use at 1600x1200. Let me know what you think.

"I just went to Compusa and bought the Norwood Micro 17" LCD Monitor for $249.99 with tax. Check out this link - (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...1&pfp=hpf6). I can't believe it works at 1600x1200 but it does. The 19" model did not. Make sure it says Model# HD17A on the back. I am playing four tables on it right now. Had to change my display options in Windows under the Settings > Advanced > Monitor tab to NOT hide modes the monitor can't display. Awesome!!!!"