Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Dell Comp: Rip off or good deal?

I don't know much about computers, but it seems like this one will do the job for poker purposes. The price is a little high for my tastes, but it does include a Dell 2001FP monitor.

Any other deals/coupons I can apply that aren't too much hassle? Also, if I get a deal preferred account, can I pay for this in installments with no interest?

Thanks for your help.

What do you think: Go with this computer or wait for a better deal/buy used? The mail-in rebate expires soon so I have to act fast. I need a new pc by ~May 16.

Dimension 8400
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
Unit Price $1,268.00-$100 Mail-In=$1,168.00

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)(Should be more than enough?)

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M) 512M4 ($90 upgrade to 1,024 MB RAM available. Take it or buy and install my own RAM?)

20.1 in 2001FP Dell Ultrasharp™ Digital Flat Panel Display

Video Card 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE X300SE(I am not a gamer. Should be more than enough for 6-tabling on 2 2001FPs?)

Internal Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing ($60 upgrade from 40 GB HD)

Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive ($10 Upgrade from 48x CD-RW)

Sound Card Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio (Upgrade to Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio for $29?)
Old 04-30-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Dell Comp: Rip off or good deal?

I would go for the RAM upgrade, if you do it yourself you are only going to save a couple bucks. Definitely upgrade to a real sound card, you'll get bett quality if you use decent speakers.

What is the total price on this system?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 PM

Sure, don't thank me since I gave you that link...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

To me it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. You're paying about 800 for the comp and 350 for the monitor... both are nice deals.

You can buy a $30 coupon on ebay for a couple bucks that SHOULD work. Think I saw a couple $75 coupons on ebay too when I looked a couple minutes ago.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, don't thank me since I gave you that link...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Since you insist on taking credit I'll hold you responsible if anything goes wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

You can buy a $30 coupon on ebay for a couple bucks that SHOULD work. Think I saw a couple $75 coupons on ebay too when I looked a couple minutes ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have Neteller. Is buying on e-bay pretty painless? Yes, I need to get off of 2+2 and learn how to use the rest of the internet. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 PM

Total cost is 1,168. After ram/sound card it would be ~1,285.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM

Another note, not sure if it changes anything: I have to pay $115.56 in taxes because I live in CA.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:52 PM

$300 coupon off of a desktop here.
Wont work til 5/2 at 8 am
http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 PM

make sure to check out gotapex.com to see if there are any deals going on right now. My mom got hers for ~$1,000 through Dell Small Business. Sometimes they're cheaper.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 PM

www.bensbargains.net

www.slickdeals.net

www.fatwallet.com

the first two will easily list any dell deals going on...the price sounds sort of steep for a new computer, if you dont need those specific specs, a comparable system can be had for around 500. you can also do a fatwallet search for any dell deals, those guys are pretty knowledgable when it comes to these things.

it might be cheaper to buy the system and the monitor separatly from dell...i picked up another 2001fp for a little under 500 a few weeks ago. gl.

edit: just did a quick search for you, it doesnt look like there are any super deals on systems right now, but try to hold out if you can. dell has new coupons/rebates often.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the price sounds sort of steep for a new computer, if you dont need those specific specs, a comparable system can be had for around 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't need a top of the line computer, because I am not using it for gaming or other high performance activities. I will keep looking around for good deals on PCs.

The main sticking point is the monitors. I am at Dell's mercy and I have no alternatives. As I mentioned earlier, I am in a bit of a time crunch.

Edit: I am foregoing the original set-up because the price came out to $1,524 after tax and ram/soundcard upgrade.