Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM

Default a pattern develops?

Let me clarify that I am a beginner to playing holdem regularly but have enjoyed it recreationally for years.
I have begun to play on line and in about a month have
turned 50 bucks into 150, and this on the lowest table available-- good ol' 50 cents/1$ blind at EMPIRE.
I am satisfied that I have greatly improved my play by studying this forum, a few 2 + 2 books, and by playing at least four times a week as many sessions as I can.

I find that my approach has been to get into a game and
assume nothing about any player but to closely watch and study them as we go along. during this period of play I often lose maybe even as much as 10$ of my 25$ buyin, but then I will have a serious rebound as I begin to mark out
the style of players and what I can bet and not bet against
each one individually. A lot of times my big payoffs will come as a result of knowing a certain player won't let go of any pair, for example, and so I know my medium pair has
a much better chance against him than another, more tight
player.

I guess I wanted to know if this kind of pattern is something more experienced players have generally encountered. And the more important question:
since I am playing online and have, yes, so far tripled my bankroll, is it an automatic to go ahead now and add another table...that is to multitable? I have to admit
that as a beginner it has seemed to be pretty important to somewhat learn my opponents as I go...

I just got done with the article about online poker by an expert who suggested you should consider all your online opponents as a whole...just one generic opponent...
He suggests that increasing profits by multitabling makes up for your advantages gained by slow study of opponents.
Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

I made it a goal to get my bankroll up to 200 before I jumped up to 1 - 2 on the blinds. So far, the fact that my bankroll has been as relatively high as compared to my
buyins has been a crucial benefit. Does 200 sound like a good goal to double my blinds and move up?

Thanks in advance.

Big_Sexy
Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: a pattern develops?

You seem like a nice guy.

Understanding how your opponents play is a great tool for success except our computers can keep track of this for us [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], that is why we have pokertracker and gametime (or playerview) you should look to get these tools (google them). For me playing 4+ tables is easier than playing 1 table beacuse its less boring and im not tempted to play hands i shouldnt play if i were playing 1 table since im an action player :P.

You have some serious studying to do. You should pretty much consider all your opponents in Small Stakes Poker to be subhuman retards until proven otherwise.

$200 is not enough for 1/2 usually you need About 300 Big Bets, $600 for 1/2, to withstand the swings of luck. So i would stick it out at .5/1 for a while longer. I suggest you buy Ed Millers new book (even tho you have played for a years you probably are still lacking much of the fundamental knowledge needed to be a good player)

Good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
during this period of play I often lose maybe even as much as 10$ of my 25$ buyin,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would worry about this. You should be able to learn about the other players at the table more cheaply. If your play is so dependant on reads, adding tables might kill you. If by "often" you just mean "I notice it when it happens, but it's less than 25% of the time" you are probably fine.

You need to have solid default play against unkowns to be able to multi table very well.

Proceed with caution.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 PM

consider investing in pokertracker before multitabling/moving up