Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 AM

Default WSOP stud 8

I primarly play tournament stud 8. I do quite well playing in sngs on Stars. I want to see the best tournament stud and stud 8 players in the world go at it, so I am making plans to go out to vegas for at least the 2K stud 8 event and maybe others. I have a few questions to anyone who has ever been at a tournament like this.

I am considering playing in a satelite for the event, if nothing else just to get some experience playing live stud. What are these like structure wise and fish:shark ratio? Will there be a lot of tourists who know nothing about stud playing in these? Will they be primarly pros? What are the buyins? Winner gets the seat, 2nd through 8th get nothing?

If I dont play in the tournament, what is it like as a railbird at one of those tournaments? Would I be able to see the tables well enough to learn something from the way they play?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions for me.

Aicirt
Old 04-29-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Re: WSOP stud 8

hey aicirt.

I don't know much about railbirding at the wsop but I have heard that he play in many of these "other" poker tournaments can be hit or miss. I think a lot of pros who don't actually play a lot of stud just enter every tournament trying to win the "player of the year" award or whatever. Maybe felicia knows...

But as far as sattelites: you should check on full-tilt. They have wsop sattelites going that will win you an entry into the 1500 buyin tourney of your choice..
Old 04-29-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey aicirt.

I don't know much about railbirding at the wsop but I have heard that he play in many of these "other" poker tournaments can be hit or miss. I think a lot of pros who don't actually play a lot of stud just enter every tournament trying to win the "player of the year" award or whatever. Maybe felicia knows...

But as far as sattelites: you should check on full-tilt. They have wsop sattelites going that will win you an entry into the 1500 buyin tourney of your choice..

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone seen any sattelites for the stud event? would this full tilt thing qualify for that? If so, how is that site?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey aicirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was aware of full tilt and I will most likely not miss another sat until June. I havent been able to play in one yet because I havent been able to register in time. However I have watched the final table the past couple weeks and there were some pretty horrid play going on at the final table. I will definately try these out, but I would have to win my first multi-table tournament ever. Also, there is no 1,500 stud 8 event, just 1K and 2K. bleh.

Aicirt
Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey aicirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone seen any sattelites for the stud event? would this full tilt thing qualify for that? If so, how is that site?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Full Tilt sats are for $1500 in tournament chips and $500 spending cash. It doesnt matter what game you qualify through online, you can put the tournament chips towards any game you want. So if you win a NL hold em sat, you can play WSOP stud. That being said, yes, they do have a stud tournament on Tuesday nights. Stud 8 is on Monday nights. I havent watched much of the stud tournies, but like I told beset, the final table play of the stud 8 sats have been fishy.

Aicirt
Old 04-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I think that both Felicia and Bill Murphy have commented that the level of play at WSOP stud/8 events is worse than you might expect. It's a game that an awful lot of people just don't get, including pros.

I'll have to check out these satellites on Full Tilt.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:44 AM

NO NO NO!!!!

You dont get to play!!!!

You have to wait till I have my seat already. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Aicirt
Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM

You have nothing to fear. Ask greenage.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:46 PM

I played in the Stud, Stud 8 and Razz events last year.

I won satellites to all of them. For the first Stud, I had to play NLHE. For the Stud 8, I had to play three Stud 8 sats. The Razz I won on the first try.

The structure is better than other sats, definitely better than places like the Bike, Commerce, Four Queens. More on par with some of the higher buy-in Foxwoods sats. Who knows what will happen this year, though. Harrah's is known for it's hatred of poker and poker players, and might give only 50% of the chips, with shorter levels. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

The sat play is usually pretty poor. Lots of players claiming they have never played the game in their lives, and proving it. Lots saying they just wanted the "practice" in a Stud game. Lots not knowing they were even sitting down for a Stud sat. On and on. Mostly young, cocky, sunglassed tourist guys in their early to mid 20's.

Before everyone starts whining, I really love these guys, for the most part. They haven't gotten that grumpiness that some of the older Stud players have. If I gently reprimand them for standing up and doing the superbowl dance when they suck out on someone and screaming "yeah, yeah!" they usually apologize and shake the hand of the one sucked out on, and even thank me for the tips in etiquette.

Okay, so back to the WSOP.

I think the buy-in is about $200 for the $1500 events. I can't remember. But then again, knowing Harrah's they will double the juice this year.

Winner takes all, but no one minds a deal. Usually, if it gets to head's up, and the limits are insane, the top two make a deal. If the sat goes really fast, like a NLHE sat, and there is still plenty of play, it is usually played out, or perhaps the overwhelming chip lead will give 2nd place a save.

Last year railbirding was a waste of time, unless you know several of the players still in. I railbirded Forrest a few times after I got knocked out, but he would come talk to me in between hands or on breaks, so it made it worth it. Since they are going to be at the Rio this year, I have no idea if you will be able to get closer to the tables, but I sincerely doubt it. Even at Horseshoe, railbirding was only profitable if you know players still in and can chat with them.

Good luck! I'd say I'll see you there, but the doc says no way I can play the WSOP during chemo, so I will not be around.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 PM

"If I gently reprimand them for standing up and doing the superbowl dance when they suck out on someone and screaming "yeah, yeah!""

You mean I'm not supposed to do that?