Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 04:30 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default would you expect to be paid?

This is completely unrelated to poker, but something happened today at work that got me wanting to vent somewhere and it just happens to be here.

How many of you have meetings at work and do you get paid during those meetings?

Today we had a 1 hr 30 minute meeting at work, basically because we're about to go into the busy season. Boss just going over all our little mistakes giving his usual speech that we've all heard a million times, + going over the employee handbook that was re-written but the same. and letting us know how the business is doing etc.

Before this meeting, he told everyone who was already at work to punch out for the meeting. The people who arrived to work specifically for the meeting (like me and the majority of the people there since we don't work many hours in slow season) I guess were also told not to punch in and when someone questioned that later he said no, "it's standard in the industry not to be paid for meetings."

I of course had punched in since I wasn't around to be told not to and why would I *not* punch in while at work for work-related meetings? I don't know if I will get paid for it or not until I see my check. I mean why would anyone volunteer 1.5 hours of their time to be lectured by their boss ?

Does anyone else think this is clearly messed up ? Everyone seemed pretty annoyed afterward talking about how they couldn't get paid for that time. I don't think he's ever made an issue of this before.

Just curious if this is really how things go out there, or if my boss is being completely unreasonable. I mean one lady drove 45 minutes for this meeting and then is told specifically she can't punch in for it. I think thats nuts to expect that from your employees. This bothers me a lot.

Have you ever heard of such craziness? Do you get paid for meetings at work? Thanks for any comments...
Old 04-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: would you expect to be paid?

what industry? that's pretty much bullshit. if i'm not getting paid, i'm not going to be there.

Your boss is an idiot and there is no way you should not be paid for this. What company is this?

[ QUOTE ]
This is completely unrelated to poker...

[/ QUOTE ]

It better be unrelated.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM

I work for a professional photography lab.
we make the prints and stuff for professional photographers/studios (like senior & family portraits etc).

I can't imagine *any* industry where this is really acceptable. But I don't know..
Old 04-29-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
senior family portraits

[/ QUOTE ]

no junior family portraits?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no junior family portraits?

[/ QUOTE ]
bah funny :P i meant like senior (highschool) portraits.
forgot the "and" :P
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM

Labor laws vary from state to state, but in general if the meeting is mandatory, you are supposed to be paid.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:42 PM

In California, you have to be paid for meetings. If you come into work when asked, you are to be paid for 2 hours even if the meeting is 15 minutes. It might be different in your state.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:44 PM

My 2 jobs in the past have been red lobster, and a small laser tag company. Both paid for meetings. And the laser tag had really shitty and cheap management. Someone mentioned labour laws in your area, I would check into that, I would think this thing would be mandatory pay.