Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 AM

Default 99 vs MP Raise

No reads. Should I call preflop or reraise? I figured on the turn I was up against AK or a bigger pair and I was dead.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 (poster) raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: 99 vs MP Raise

Raise the turn.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 AM

Why?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:58 AM

Because this is how you take advantage of position. I'm liking the idea of getting to showdown still, even after the turn is the king. So, we have options, we can call down which costs two bets, or we can use our position and put in a great raise right now. First of all, when 3 bet it's the clearest fold ever and you don't worry about it, you weren't going to win at showdown anyway (ok you spike a 9 rarely but hell, that's going to be up against KK a pretty good % of that rare time anyway) you are very likely to get the third player to fold hands you wouldn't want to give him a river with, which includes hands you are beating like a7o. There is also the smallest chance that when you are beat by hands in the TT-QQ range that you can cause the greatest coup possible by getting them to fold, but even against these hands you've accomplished getting to showdown for 2 bets, but added a value bet if a 9 hits. It's very good for you. That king on the turn is definitely an opportunity.

Note that I started this post with, I still want to get to showdown here. If you have convinced yourself that you are no good on the turn, you wouldn't consider calling down, and won't put anymore bets in, so fold on the turn.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:54 AM

yea I would just fold out on the turn, just like how he played it
Old 04-29-2005, 06:10 AM

I like a three-bet preflop, usually someone who posts not int he CO or in the BB is usually (usually) not a good player. So i would 3-bet and isolate him and this hand will play rather easily after that.

Why do you put him on a K?