Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Zen or KPO

I have Ultimate Points to blow and figured a free book wouldn't hurt. At the moment I have extra for one of the books, Zen and the Art of Poker or Killer Poker Online.

I here that Zen is pretty good at helping with psychology. The reviews that I have read about KPO is a mix of pros and cons. I'm considering it because I hear that it teaches the aspects of roll management and other busy work quite well.

Opinions?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Zen or KPO

Tough choice, both are must have books.

KPO is probably the weakest of the killer poker series and Zen is quite good but really just goes over the same thing too much.

KPO probably has more value as it goes over a lot more areas as well as psychology which is what Zen is all about.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:56 AM

KPO is better - although as I think someone mentioned it is the weakest of the 3 books in the series - there are some good psyco points in the book, and some interesting thoughts on managing an online BR....worth a read (altough likley only one read through....)
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 PM

I vote for Zen without looking back, but it's closer than that sounds.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 PM

I give my vote for Zen. With an important caveat. The book is probably the best book I've ever read in terms of where I should be mentally and emotionally and the poker table, as well as enforcing an attitude consistent with poker success. Some of the "strategy" in the book particularly that pertaining to luck cycles and such, probably should not be taken seriously. And although, I do not agree with the authors assessment, even following the "luck cycle" advice wouldn't be too bad in moderation and there are viable image related reasons, for tightening up/not getting fancy when your running bad and doing the opposite while running good (within reason of course). However, if this advice leads you to play long winning sessions and short losing ones, than a good thing has been accomplished just not for the stated reasons. Mason talked about this as well, so sorry if I sound like his review, but my initial reading left me equally astonished at this advice, however, to be fair a zen buddhist poker player would have to believe in luck cycles, so if you do, this book may give you an edge the rest of us do not have.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Ultimate Points to blow and figured a free book wouldn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the exact same problem. I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter. All of the books offered at UB are lukewarm reads. I flipped a coin and requested KPO.

Maybe we can get Mason to lobby for more 2+2 books on that list! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]