Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:40 PM

Default The Corporation

Just saw this movie, and it was just like I thought it would be.

It was incredibly biased against corporations and capitalism in general, and the directors used a lot of emotional fallacies in failed attempts to make convincing points.

I don't deny that there are some bad corporations, but the whole tone of the movie seemed very threatening and almost advocating violence in an effort to take over corporations and "restore control to the people", whatever the hell that means.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: The Corporation

Where is the real Dead and what have you done with him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 11:52 PM

Damnit
Old 04-28-2005, 11:57 PM

You know, it is possible that the movie is right...

I think I put a review up for it when I saw it in theaters a yr. ago - very eye opening -

Personally, I'd like to see them taken down a couple notches - at least make the bastards start paying taxes again instead of funneling profits offshore into tax havens.

RB
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 AM

I just hate the total hypocrisy from Michael Moore. He gripes about these rich, rich corporations. Michael Moore makes tens of millions a year. He could give some to poor people. Does he? No. He bought a nice house on Long Island, amongst all the CEOs.

And I've seen a lot of hippies who smoke. I could be mistaken, but I think that most of the cigarettes they are smoking are made by Philip Morris/RJ Reynolds.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:16 AM

MM does give money to charities/Flint, MI and does quite a bit for other organizations/groups - the argument that he could do "more" doesn't really hold water in that regard. And let's face it, what he makes doesn't come close to that of a CEO's salary or the GNP of some corporations, which exceed many nations in the world today.

Besides, look at what you're doing - You're not attacking the movie or it's ideas, you're attacking people that might support it or appeared in it - (Michael Moore/Hippies) - That in itself is a logical fallicy - you've done nothing to refute the points in the movie.

You can pull any exception out of the hat you want, but history/experience has shown us that Corporations will always put profit making ahead of the general well-being of society. They can purchase exceptions to laws that you and I have to follow. This movie highlights that. I really like the analogy of the Corporation to a psychopath, because if it is a legal person under law, then that's exactly what it's behavior defines itself as under the Mental Health system.

And as far as I am concerned, they shouldn't be trusted to purchase/manage certain utilities that should be owned/managed by public trusts. Like the water rights to a city, for example. There ARE some things that are better left in the hands of the Govt. and not in the hands of people who will maximize profit and put shareholder value ahead of giving services that people need to live/survive. (like HMO's, for example)

RB
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There ARE some things that are better left in the hands of the Govt. and not in the hands of people

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been posting here terribly long, but I have a feeling the free market police will be here to reprimand you shortly.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 AM

I don't doubt that some things should be left in the hands of government, like public schooling and some health care.

But I think very little of this movie.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:27 AM

I use the term "of people" lightly here - LOL -

anyone don't like it, [censored] em. When they need an organ transplant some day and their Health provider "denies" them based upon an archaic interperation of a rule in their book that doesn't really apply, but they have the legal might to fight in court, then they won't be bothering me anymore.

That and I don't like the idea that someone could own patents on the genomes/DNA sequences that make up human beings - corporations that sell genetically modified seed won't let farmers replant it next year cause they own the patent. What, do they own the crop? - then how the hell can they force a farmer to not replant some seed from his crop?

jesus...will it never stop.

RB
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at least make the bastards start paying taxes again instead of funneling profits offshore into tax havens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the corporate tax rate should be 0%. There's lots of reasons why not the least of which is that it's really just another tax on consumers in the form of prices, and employees in the form of lost jobs. This is more or less undisputed by all economists except for the most ardent Maoists.

The second reason is that all the corporate influence and control over congress is a direct result of them being taxed. Part of corporate success is paying the most lobbyists to get you a tax break from capitol hill. No corporate taxes == less corrupt politics on the hill. No special favors and subsidies for the corporation that pays the most tribute to congress.

natedogg