Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Default 5/10 Flop Question KJo

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Decent 5/10 full table.

MP2 is loose, passive, and bad. Only had around 5 BBs to start the hand.

Button is semi tight, aggressive, and a table coach. Earlier he was bitching about a guy calling him down with bottom pair (even though he bet the flop with a draw, raised the turn, and bet the river when the draw missed). Last orbit, I openraised from EMP with TT, he 3-bet, and I check-folded an AKx flop. I don't have a good read on his postflop play.

SB is completely unknown.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

Who likes folding?

Who likes calling?

Who likes raising?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Flop Question KJo

I'm raising
Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 PM

I like raising here. The pot's getting big, and you've got a decent chance of having the best hand. And the hand will be a lot easier to play if you can get rid of the button. If the button sticks around, I'm inclined to want to see a showdown if no hearts or aces show on the turn or river.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 PM

i think if you're gonna play, raising is the way to go.

i think calling here is pretty bad.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Def raise
Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises, Button 3-bets, SB calls

[/ QUOTE ]

coupled with

[ QUOTE ]
SB bets into the PF raiser and three bettor

[/ QUOTE ]

means I need a read to play on. in a live 5/10 game against an assumed donk, a raise has some merit, but here your equity cannot be high. - I assume the average 5/10er on party is decent, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: the merit to this is that SB might be taking a stab, and button might fold a better hand (black QQ) to your raise. but still, I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Yeah, the semicold-call 3 and bet out on the flop was definitely surprising. Unfortunately, it was his second hand at the table and he was completely unknown to me.

[ QUOTE ]
I assume the average 5/10er on party is decent, correct me if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, not really. The average 5/10 player is a lot different than the average 3/6 player but not really decent.

[ QUOTE ]
the merit to this is that SB might be taking a stab, and button might fold a better hand (black QQ) to your raise. but still, I have a bad feeling about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not sure how often the button will have a better hand than me AND fold it on the flop. If I was the button, I wouldn't be folding black QQ here, and with this specific player I think he would be more likely to call down to show how his black QQ/KK/AA got cracked then make a tough fold. Also, the only hands that he could have and possibly fold that I want him to fold is like AQo or T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Tx. No one is folding the Ah or Kh here.

However, it would suck if the SB is betting out with like the lone A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or some other retarded hand and the button has AK/AQ/TT and I end up folding the best hand.

I think there is some good that can come from calling the flop. If the button just calls also, and the SB bets out again, a raise then would have a much better chance of folding a better hand and would put a lot more pressure on a lone [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. If I call, the button raises, and the SB 3-bets, I can fold. If I call, the button raises, and the SB just calls, I think I would probably bet out on the turn.

However, raising offers similar benefits and I guess the hand won't be too tough to play out after my inital flop decision.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 PM

I raise here, and if no heart come I bet again on the turn (assuming I am not three bet on the flop).

This is hard to play without a read, but if a heart comes on the river I fold to a bet, and if no heart comes I bet the river for value (wrong?).

If I get played back at in any spot I fold.

Feel free to flame away at any lously advice here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]