Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Default JJ makes a flush - 2/4 NL

New to the table, no reads on anybody

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter

BB ($61.20)
UTG ($1332.20)
Hero ($394.90)
CO ($314.90)
Button ($235.35)
SB ($144.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $10, BB calls $8.

Flop: ($36) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24</font>, SB calls $24, BB folds.

Turn: ($84) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero???
Old 04-26-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: JJ makes a flush - 2/4 NL

I like the standard check behind, call a bet / value bet line w/ no read here. You're only upset if your free-card gives him a full house. Other than that situation, you're way ahead, way behind everything else.

How do people like a push if villain checks again on river?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM

I hate betting the turn and I hate a push on the river and I hate betting the river.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate a push on the river and I hate betting the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too hate a turn bet, but only because villain probably won't make a mistake against you. Why do you hate a river bet / push? Notice the villain doesn't have too much money. And don't give me he'll only call when you're beat. He has to worry about bluffs here. Wouldn't you bet here w/out a diamond sometimes?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Did you guesstimate why sb check-called your bet on the flop? I don't think you can easily deduce whether he has a Queen or a better diamond, thus far. So I vote to bet $50 behind his check on the turn. Optimal way to play this hand, imo, is to try to minimize possible losses while maximizing potential gains.

ps~ I obviously would play this hand differently if you had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K-x.

On a separate, note...unless this was the only available seat at the time, why did you choose to play at this table? Not crazy about the money distribution at all.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a separate, note...unless this was the only available seat at the time, why did you choose to play at this table? Not crazy about the money distribution at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because at stars, during the day there are usually only about 5 2/4NL full tables going, and I play five at a time.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 PM

You think your average player will call with the ten of diamonds?

I might bet without a diamond here, but on very low frequency (about the frequency with which I could be expected to have an ace), but betting without a diamond and with a diamond are two completely different scenarios. We have showdown value, you forget.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:28 PM

I think the average player will call a smallish bet w/ a lower flush and sometimes even TPTK. If the player is tricky / good, then of course check behind - but I see plenty of players make this call with a low flush.