Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Default How big is SNG comparing to NL ring games ?

Hello all !

Ive just played my first SNG (not counting some 5$ few months ago) and I won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (30$ buy in). I am 200NL player (1/2$ blinds) and I wonder which SNG's should be good for me and my bakroll. How big should be SNG to be comparable to 200NL (criteria: bankroll needed, profits expected, skill level of opponents). Thank you for your thoughts.

Best wishes
punter11235
Old 05-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: How big is SNG comparing to NL ring games ?

30-100 buyins for SNGs.
Obviously, higher buyins need bigger rolls - and conservative players want bigger rolls.

What's a good roll for the 200NL?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:14 PM

I never really played NL-Ring, but I'd imagine the BR requirements would be pretty similar between a NL-Ring game and a SNG of half that size.

i.e. If you normally play $100 NL, you prolly have the BR to play 50+5s

Since you normally play $200NL, you are prolly BRed to play the $100. (This assumes of course that you are properly BRed for the $200 NL game, I think the usual recommendation there is somewhere between 20 and 40 buyins.)
Old 05-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Recommended bankroll for 200$ is around 4k-8k... I had slightly below this bankroll (I play mainly shortstacked at 200NL and sometimes fullstack). What I want to say is that 100$ buy in SNG seems to be huge to me... This is because I dont lose 200$pot every hour at 200NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and placing in the money 50% or more often seems difficult (for me). I think SNG's have more variance than ring NL. What do you think ? what are "normal" downswings when playing SNG'g ? I would say for ring games 4buy ins is bearable.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:50 PM

How about instead of playing where your bankroll says you can, you play where your comfort and tolerance level dictate? Start off at the $22s or $33s, play them a bit until you feel comfortable to tackle the $109s or $215s. Just because you have the roll to play high doesn't mean you have to. In fact, I'd take some of that cash to the lower games but still play high [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 PM

just start at the $50s where you get 1000 chips whereas at the <$33s you'll only glet 800 chips to start
Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Yup. It makes no sense to play as high as you can just because you have the money for it. Even if you could be playing the $200's comfortably, you should build up a level of confidence in your play before you do it, by seeing how the lower levels treat you. The higher games won't be going anywhere.

You don't need to be in the money anywhere near over 50% of the time, either. You can easily make money with ITM's under 40% in the low levels, and with ITM's under 15% in the higher levels.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can easily make money with ITM's under 40% in the low levels, and with ITM's under 15% in the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup. It makes no sense to play as high as you can just because you have the money for it. Even if you could be playing the $200's comfortably, you should build up a level of confidence in your play before you do it, by seeing how the lower levels treat you. The higher games won't be going anywhere.

You don't need to be in the money anywhere near over 50% of the time, either. You can easily make money with ITM's under 40% in the low levels, and with ITM's under 15% in the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last sentence needs some fixin'.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the usual recommendation there is somewhere between 20 and 40 buyins.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the hell not. Otherwise, I'm doing a crappy job of managing my bankroll.