Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you play on multiple skins/sites?
just one 14 18.67%
multiple 61 81.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Are you good at ping-pong?

Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Are you good at ping-pong?

I crush everyone except one or two kids on campus. I play penhold style. A guy I know that runs chess tournies around Cleveland came down and crushed me though. He was once Top 100 in the US and got invited onto the Olympic Team. Quite embarassing really..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM

When I was 6 I pwned the neighborhood. I never lost. I totally dominated. I haven't played since then, but I'm pretty sure I'd still dominate anyone here.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM

funny you ask, i just got back from round 2 of our company wide ping-pong tourney. pwned some chick who got a lucky draw in round 1 and was talking mad sh!t until I busted out my Stiga paddle.
Next up is the CEO who is a self proclaimed "avid table tennis player" according to his bio piece in the San Jose Mercury. I have a terrible feeling that I'm about to write my own pink slip...
Old 04-22-2005, 02:30 PM

I think table tennis is like pool. 'good' is all relative to who your opponent is.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Anyone who calls ping pong "table tennis" should have the [censored] kicked out of them.

[ QUOTE ]
funny you ask, i just got back from round 2 of our company wide ping-pong tourney. pwned some chick who got a lucky draw in round 1 and was talking mad sh!t until I busted out my Stiga paddle.
Next up is the CEO who is a self proclaimed "avid table tennis player" according to his bio piece in the San Jose Mercury. I have a terrible feeling that I'm about to write my own pink slip...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Durring the winter months of my college days a couple friends and I played ping pong all the time. i had one in my basement growing up and played tennis for many years so I had a good background. We all went out and bought top of the line paddles that were customized to our style of play. After a couple weeks of playing it was like Forrest Gump stlye ping pong for all of us. We were awesome. We dominated a tournament for the college, and all took our turns beating each other daily. This was years ago, and I haven't played recently. However, I'm willing to bet that I'd get back on the horse pretty quickly. I still have my paddle around here somewhere.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 PM

yeah, i have the paddle with the thick, smooth rubber on one side for my backhand spins and the pocked hard rubber on the other for my forehand slams. i love that paddle.

it's been a few years since i've played very seriously. i learned to play at a rec center where they had a few tables and some old guys that played a lot. at some point when i was beating up on the kid crowd, they let me start playing against them. eventually i was beating all of the old guys too.

i looked around for tournaments, but couldn't find any in the area.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i looked around for tournaments, but couldn't find any in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have have an inside contact to find the underground tournaments in your area.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

on an 'active' week i'll play ping pong 5-8 hours at work. several of us are highly competitive with it.

we have a donic stress net with a tension rope, and most of us play with premium paddles. most of them have custom components which are assembled/glued upon ordering. i use a prebuilt yasaka gaiten mark v.

we play with standard rules regarding serves (pitch from an open palm at least 6 inches into the air and you can't hit it ascending), play to 11 points, change serves every 2 points etc. i'm the best in the office, beat my family up at it, etc but i'm not sure where i would stand on an tournament competitive level. i am confident that i can beat most people who say they're good at ping pong.