Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 03:44 AM

Default I flop a straight, and go for a river...checkraise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks...

Final Pot: huh

Both villains are TAGs. From the turn action I was 90% sure I was against at least one set, and most likely either two sets or a set and a straight. Two-pair was a possibility too. I was 90% sure that the last actor would bet if checked to because he's a TAG. TAGs like to compulsorily bet. Maybe it was chancy as I'd ended the business on the turn, but other than AQ those boys wouldn't have to worry about anything. I'd been playing super aggressively at the table as it was, had tons of good hands, and a set could have expected me to play two-pair that aggressively. They could put me on, say, AK with a flush draw or two-pair, and I was pretty sure button could value bet that.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: I flop a straight, and go for a river...checkraise?

I like the river c/r, but why did you cap that PF?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 AM

Should have mentioned resteal ranges were awfully wide against me, I'd been stealing a lot from any MP position. I think it was pretty LAGgy considering BB was in there, probably an error.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was 90% sure that the last actor would bet if checked to

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are right in your assement, the correct play is to checkraise the river. Checkraising is worth at least 1.8 BBs. Betting out is closer to 1 BB.

Stu
Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraising is worth at least 1.8 BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very conservative IMO. When it works, you are getting at least 2, very likely 3 or 4, and possibly even more. Let's call it 3, to be conservative. If that is working 90% of the time, it's worth 2.7. I think 50%-60% is more realistic than 90% (in general, if not in this case), but even in this case the c/r is better than a bet.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:29 AM

I think I would bet here. The 3-bet call the button made on the turn is an admission that he is still feeling vulnerable. He might have AK, AJ, maybe two pair or high card spades, possibly a set, but none of those hands are really super-strong on this flop - especially considering your pre-flop raising can put you on an AQs in some people's minds. I think although your river check is likely to confuse him, if he is a decent player he might be anticipating a river CR, and if he is a a crappy player he might fear getting his set throttled by a straight. He might also put you on KK for a set higher than his Jacks?. I would bet out and watch him pay me one more bet.

Liam
Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is working 90% of the time, it's worth 2.7. I think 50%-60% is more realistic than 90% (in general, if not in this case)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this...90% sure of a bet when checked to after you have finished the betting on the turn is pretty optimistic. I am very rarely that sure under these particular circumstances.

Liam
Old 04-25-2005, 05:27 AM

I don't see how you can be 90% sure of a river bet after you finished the action on the turn.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 AM

TAGs compulsorily value bet. My estimation of his betting might be high, but it's not that high. Hell, just like a day ago somebody posted a hand where there was an odd check on the river, and it was probably 70% in favor of a river bet. I may be off, but not by much.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:58 AM

seems like a good line, but very very player dependant imo, because this getting checked through is a DISASTER.