Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Playing out a revealed hand

This is a rowdy home game, blinds 10 and 20 cents. It's 5-handed and I have about $40. Villain has me covered. We've played together a lot, he's tricky and way aggressive. His starting hand range is loose but sane. His biggest weaknesses not bothering with the math of the game and overplaying hands like TPWK; he compensates with sharp reads and skillful manipulation of other players.

Two nights before, I broke him twice on pf allins: once with my ATs vs. ATo, and again with my AQ against 44.

Villain is button. I get 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG limps, CO folds, Villain raises to $1, SB folds and I call. UTG calls.

Pot is $3. Flop 10 8 4 rainbow. I bet 2, UTG folds, Villain raises to 5. I think for a while and decide to show strength by flashing my hand to my buddy in the SB. Villain, sitting beside him on the couch, says "thanks Trey" and shakes his head.

The 10 was on top, so he saw that. The 9 was tucked in close and I flashed them pretty fast; odds are against him knowing my kicker. I think for a while more and announce, "it doesn't matter, I'm going to play the player and not the cards." I call. Pot is $13.

Turn 9, completing the rainbow. Pot is $13, I have $33 behind. What now?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Playing out a revealed hand

Caro's Book of Poker Tells has a couple of chapters on you.

You're not unaware of your situation and sharing your hand with your girlfriend here, so Tell #8 "Let's win this one together darling" dosen't apply.

So, I'd say its obvious your something of an actor on this this. So, I'd say Villain should read your "sharing" a card that "accidentally" gets exposed as a "Weakness means strength" tell in Chapter XIV. "You can correctly suppose that a player who deliberately exposes a strong card or several strong cards is actually weak." So, you are really communicating weakness here by trying to "show strength."

I don't know if Villain knows that or not, but I'll assume he does because it make the hand more fun. He raised preflop. He's not afraid of your exposed top pair with unknown, but probably weak kicker (weak because you "accidentally" exposed the top pair card without showing the kicker, something you probably won't have done with AT or TT). So, he probably has an overpair of JJ or better.

That means your terrible acting that would have ordinarily resulted in your calling or betting your TPWK down to the river against you buddy's overpair just hit one of your 6 outs on the turn. I'd have to assume your now a big favorite with a disguised hand. I'd bet the pot on the turn and hope Villain comes over the top with his overpair.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Playing out a revealed hand

[ QUOTE ]
That means your terrible acting that would have ordinarily resulted in your calling or betting your TPWK down to the river against you buddy's overpair just hit one of your 6 outs on the turn. I'd have to assume your now a big favorite with a disguised hand. I'd bet the pot on the turn and hope Villain comes over the top with his overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I got the idea from one hand before, when my cohort flashed his hand to me while villain considered calling a push. Villain folded A8o faceup, bettor showed A7d for TP + nut flush draw. That sounded good in my head but, as I write it, I think it makes the acting all the more transparent. Anyway.

My analysis was about the same as yours, though I figured him for AT-JT as most likely. I bet out $5, which was my original plan if the kicker hadn't paired. I rarely bet this small but I liked the amount because it's ambiguous. I also wanted to leave enough behind that he could bluff with overcards if he so wished.

He pushed, I called. He shows QT.

The river is a J and I lose to a gutshot straight. Fate doesn't like to be tricked.