Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 PM

Default How to take the third step?

Hi, first post. I have been reading about poker for over a year and playing online frequently for the last two months.

It took me about 20 cheap tournaments to figure out how to play tight and not push pre-flop early on, that put me in the top 40% almost all the time.

Then I read some great threads here and figured out how to steal, both pre- and post flop and now do consistently well in the middle part of tournaments (BB 100-400). (My biggest remaining weakness in this phase is failing to value bet when I hit the flop fairly hard). This gets me to the last 20% probably 3 of 4 times I play - sometimes in excellent chip position.

Then I fall apart.

I almost always lose at least one pot by bluffing post flop and getting re-raised. I become very unsure about which hands to play. My bet sizing is haphazard (too high, I think). I abandon limping altogether. Finally, I seem to go on tilt when I have fallen solidly below the median, so I don't even hit the money very often.

I'm sure this has been dicussed before, I would love to be pointed in the direction of old threads or reading material. Of course feel free to chime in directly.

Also can't find much good reading material on how to win mtts - tips?