Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Bankroll Requirements for 7 Stud Hi/Lo

I know I've read that, in general, the variance in Stud Hi/Lo is lower than that of Hold 'em (because of the aspect of split pots, etc.) But I was wondering by how much this would change your bankroll requirement for this game.

In Sklansky on Poker (page 22) , he mentions that the bankroll requirement for Limit Hold'em is about 250 times the big blind. So in a 3/6 Limit Hold'em game, I would want to have a bankroll of $1,500.

Any ideas on bankroll requirements for Stud Hi/Lo? Or any other games for that matter.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements for 7 Stud Hi/Lo

If you have a losing streak of more than 100 BB at stud/8, there is a pretty good chance that you don't play very well.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:50 PM

What about stud Hi only? In my brief experiances I found variance to be less than Hold 'em - I am curious if that true?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM

At the low and middle limits in particular, I think high-only stud has lower variance than hold'em. This is because a lot of money goes in before the flop in hold'em. When you get to higher limits, say $75/150 and up, the ante is very high in stud, so the play becomes a lot more aggressive. Also, you're not going to have capped multi-way pots in $75/150 HE like you do in Canterbury's $30/60 HE game, so the variance is probably a little higher in stud.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Hi All,

I can't speak about hi/low, but I know that even in my regular £20/£40 stud hi game with an exteremly small £1 ante (and therefore very tight play, which should mean small varience) I have seen winning players lose or win more than 100BBs in 5 hours (just last weekend I lost 120 BBs in about 8 hours over 3 sessions, in none of which I was playing particularly poorly [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])

Regards,
Carlos
Old 04-22-2005, 12:36 PM

Stud high is completely different, although I've never had a 100 BB losing streak playing stud high myself. I did have a $7k skid playing $30/60 stud/8 in 2002, and I was playing pretty badly. I've had a few 100 BB skids playing HE.

In split games, if you're playing well, you should be at least escaping most of the time. This isn't true in high-only games.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:01 PM

it all depends on game selection, IMO. I play 3/6 with a 2k roll, but i'm still mostly playing 1/2... i make more/hr there... (so far)

the biggest slide i've experienced (again, so far) at 3/6 has been 40BB, but most of that was on a couple poorly played hands. At 1/2 i consider a 30 or 40BB slide a pretty clear indication that my game is off. in high only it's about double all of those BB numbers.

$1,500 should be more than enough.