Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Default The Grinder--4 million chips gone in 20 minutes?

Have been lurking for awhile, but had to made a post here b/c I couldn't find anyone online to express my shock too. Unless I'm reading pokerwire and cardplayer wrong, Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi apparently gave away over 4 million chips (he had a small chip lead over Ivey) in two hands over a span of less than 30 minutes in the WPT Championship. With one player to go before breaking to one table, the Grinder (holding pocket 6's) reraised Tuan Le, was reraised by Habib (3rd in chips) and the Grinder...for some odd reason, put habib all in for a total of about 3 mill. Habib called after a while, with QQ, and crippled Mizrachi. Mizrachi was out within a few hands with AJ v. AQ.

Why...why? would you tangle with an agressive player like Habib with 66? Why would you put him a hand he could easily get away from when Habib reraised two previous raises?
The only thing I could think of would be that since each spot increases dramatically in $, Habib had a strong chip stack, and there were so many low stacks (and they were almost to the TV table), Mizrachi simply thought he could take Habib off the hand unless Habib had AA, KK, or possibly QQ (risk/reward).
Any thoughts? anyone else surprised or have a different reaction?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: The Grinder--4 million chips gone in 20 minutes?

I was more shocked than you.....pocket sixes?? I guess he read his opponent wrong.........That sucks
Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I could think of would be that since each spot increases dramatically in $, Habib had a strong chip stack, and there were so many low stacks (and they were almost to the TV table), Mizrachi simply thought he could take Habib off the hand unless Habib had AA, KK, or possibly QQ (risk/reward).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is likely what he was thinking. However what kind of range is he putting Habib on that doesn't involve him having one of those hands the majority of the time?
Old 04-23-2005, 09:28 PM

in NLHE ppl tend to lose their whole stack quite often.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:30 PM

The thing is that he uses his read to make aggressive decisions and he misread hasan habib.I wouldnt have made that mistake.But theres no fn way i wouldve got 4 million chips in the first place.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 PM

If it happened as described above, Habib probably hated his QQ when the Grinder moved in. However, on pokerwire.com, it says Mizrachi open raised from the SB, got reraised by Habib, and then moved in. That kind of seems more logical, but I tend to believe your description. Is that from cardplayer?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 PM

people do tend to lose their stack quite often in NLHE; however, people tend to not lose a quarter of the chips in play when the day is close to over and they're nearing the TV table within a few hands. The only comparable performance I can remember by a pro was when JDags lost all his chips quickly in USPC; however, those were more by bad beats then by making huge....let's call it semi-bluff (b/c 66 could easily have been good).
On Cardplayer, it stated that it was a raise by tuan, reraise by Grinder, and reraise by Habib before the all in move.
Basically, at best, Grinder can make Habib lay down AK, AQ and other race hands, or pairs 77-QQ (with QQ as the most borderline call). The problem is that out of three groups of players, Grinder can only make 1/3 groups fold hands like AK, QQ and JJ. (as i see it).
One group is ultra tight players with pretty good reads/sense for risk/reward, who maybe satellited in and just want to keep moving up in the standings to make more $ (survivors). Another group is players who aren't really that good, who think QQ and AK are monsters and can't fathom laying them down preflop. And a last group would be pros who are gunning for first, willing to take chances in order to get a huge chip stack.
The problem here is that I would classify Ivey, Habib and maybe Tuan in the last group, people willing to gamble who don't really care about an extra 100k by folding their way to the $, and don't care about being on TV. Grinder almost certainly knew Habib was an aggressive player, but by the same token, Habib should know that the Grinder has a relatively tight image---thus I think Habib's reraise signals JJ-AA. I would think that given Habib's stack, and the fact that Le could have about anything (AA, KK), Habib would flat call with AK and try to outplay after the flop IMO. Also, Grinder's all in raise may "signal" Aces, but I think the huge reraise signals a smaller pair, or basically a bluff (at best KK), b/c AA isn't scared to take a flop heads up there, and wouldnt want to necessarily scare the action away from all hands except AK, KK and QQ.
Simply put, I think it was a horrible play for situation, and by the fact that if Grinder is right in that Habib reraised with AK, AQ or another hand he can let go of, the Grinder increases his chips to 5+million (still only 1.5 mill over Ivey), and if he's wrong, he's either 80/20 underdog to overpair, or in a race where he'd either be a big chip leader (like Habib is now), or close to getting knocked out (like he ended up).
In the end, you need to have a very, very strong read in order to even consider that as the correct play.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that he uses his read to make aggressive decisions and he misread hasan habib.I wouldnt have made that mistake.But theres no fn way i wouldve got 4 million chips in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because theres no way youd get 4 million to begin with.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 AM

Im pretty sure you just echoed the final sentence of that quote.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure you just echoed the final sentence of that quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if that was an attempt to zing him it was pretty weak