Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Does PT autorate feature really make any difference?

Using playerview / GT+ with all that stats overlayed on the table, how useful is the autorate feature? What information could you get from a rating that you couldn't just see layed out on the screen?

I've never used the autorate but am wondering if I should or if it'll make any difference.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Does PT autorate feature really make any difference?

Yes it's very handy if you are multi-tabling (it can help you make faster decisions) and the priority categories in the new modified rules can flag up crucial interrelationships between stats that you might miss if you just scan them.

It's the main reason I use GT+ and not PV at Party.

http://www.andymcnish.btinternet.co.uk/NL50mod3.TXT

Of course in theory if you're are going to get involved in a pot with anyone you should first consider all his stats closely, but life being what it is (esp if playing 3 tables) you often just play your cards on semi-automatic until a significnt amount of money goes in (when you stop and have a good look at the opponent stats). Up to that point at least - some reliable auto-categorisation must be very handy.

Also it makes table selection a lot easier. I fire up GT+ and look for xtra-loose, showdown muppets, calling stations, or loose passive fish. If there isn't at least 2 buy-ins worth of stacks on the table under those icons I just move on.. 'nothing to see here'....
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM

I used to live by it, but now for the most part I ignore it. If you have enough hands on somebody a quick glance can tell you where they fall on the spectrum. The picture is nice and I do use auto-rate in my DB, for sorting purposes.

From a selection standpoint I know what I want to see as far as stats of my opponents. When I export notes to sites, I have started leaving off the description, as this gives me extra space to make specific notes..
Old 04-20-2005, 03:00 PM

The autorate rules that I came up with and others came up with were valuable because there were no PV/GT+ apps out there. Nowadays, they're pretty superfluous. If you don't know what the stats indicate, you shouldn't be using them.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 PM

You should know that W$@SD takes a while to converge (especially for opponents that you have 100's of hands again) and that what you might get with your WT or Showdown muppet ratings might simply be people who are running well or badly respectively.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:37 PM

of course i was worried about this but ap10- plays 20k hnads/week and he swears by them..

see this thread..

http://bet-the-pot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2629
Old 04-22-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to live by it, but now for the most part I ignore it. If you have enough hands on somebody a quick glance can tell you where they fall on the spectrum. The picture is nice and I do use auto-rate in my DB, for sorting purposes.

From a selection standpoint I know what I want to see as far as stats of my opponents. When I export notes to sites, I have started leaving off the description, as this gives me extra space to make specific notes..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Going through the process of making my own icon parameters was helpful, as it casued me to review my own percpetions on the categories as oppossed to the default parameters or what others have suggested.

However, I now find the icons not only meaningless, but sometime puzzling. This is especially so when I find two people with the same icon, and I 'don't frame their style of play as all that similar. It could be because each is stradling the opposite extremes of the icon parameters. Anyway, I just tune the icons out.

I play 6handed

When I see 67%/3% or 21%/14%, I don't need an icon for help interpreting this......